VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Fiamma F style awning due to fitting a big assed heavy duty roof rack, which I've since adapted to use with a gutter rail [for the camping drive away awning]. But I still want an easy to put up awning that's a little bit more robust than a sun canopy for when I'm out at races meets and maybe clip sides onto it.

Is anyone using one of these Bag awnings that slot into the gutter rail? Are they any good? Any downfalls?

It would be perfect for me because I can just pull it out of the C rail when I don't need it.

I've done a search but I've only found old for sale adds of them on here in the past.

Any advice or help appreciated T:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I looked into these a couple of years back and posted a similair question. If I remember a few people had used them with some success, the biggest problem being that they hang over the slider and passenger door.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, It won't be on the van permanently [it will only end up getting nicked knowing my luck] so hopefully the rubbing issue shouldn't be a big problem - I just want something to chuck on the day of a race to shelter me from rain/sun then slip off when I get back.

I'm guessing the rubbing issue is only a problem when it's not wound out:*

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
As I said it was a couple of years ago so my recollections are vague but the people who had them found the overhanging an inconvenience rather than a major problem. I was going to take a chance on one but then found out the cost of the rail (which you already have) was going to be more!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T:

Another Google search on my PC this morning has turned up a lot more info than my crappy phone search did yesterday, I think I read the same threads you mention about the over hang concerns, a few say they just lift it with one hand and open the door with the other, so problem solved there :) T:

Regarding my rail.. iirc it was only £20ish brand new from my local caravan shop :cool: so not as expensive as they used to be. Just wish I'd seen these lighter removable awnings before wasting a bulk of cash on the F35 pro back when I bought it. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts