VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After a long time reading the forum, this is my first post, so here goes...

I have started to have problems with my Caravelle 2.5 TDI 174 Auto (AXE Engine). The problem is that engine is cutting out after about 30 minutes of normal driving, the battery light and traction control light come on when it stops. The first time that this happened, I was parked up with the engine running. After cutting out, I was unable to re-start the engine (engine turning over, but felt as if no fuel was coming through). After waiting for approx 15 minutes, the engine started and I drove home 20 miles without any problems. I have since managed to get the fault to happen again by leaving the van on the drive with the engine running (At this stage a new genuine VW fuel filter was fitted) I decided to log the temperatures with VCDS (lite) and discovered that at the time of cut out, the following readings were present:

Time: 24 minutes
Coolant Temperature: 84 degrees C
Fuel Temperature: 72 degrees C
Intake air temperature: 40.5 degrees C

I have tried this 3 times now and the readings are always very close to those recorded when the cut out happens.

After the cut out, I have read the following codes from VCDS:

1706 - Engine Speed Sensor : No Signal
01126 - Engine Speed Signal : No signal
01314 - Engine Control Module : Check DTC Memory

I'm not sure whether these faults are due to the engine stopping suddenly and unexpectedly, or whether they are the cause of the fault.

If anybody could help with this I would be grateful. I have suspicions that it is temperature related, but apart from this i'm in the dark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add, after waiting for approx 10 minutes, the engine starts. At this point, the temperatures are as follows:

Coolant Temperature: 75 degrees C
Fuel Temperature: 55.8 degrees C
Intake air temperature: 41.4 degrees C

I'm not sure what the normal diesel temperature would be, but 77 Deg C seems a little high to me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

After taking the Caravelle to a local mechanic, and based on the symptoms ant the fault codes that were read from VCDS, he suggested replacement of the crankshaft sensor.

After having this sensor fitted (VW Part Number 070-907-319) I have run the engine up to full temperature and left it idling for a good 90 minutes without any problems. The following temperatures were recorded and maintained for this time.

Coolant Temperature 93.5 °C

Fuel Temperature 80.2 °C

Intake Air Temperature 40.1 °C

I hope that this information will prove to be useful for other T5 owners. I will keep this updated with progress over the next few weeks, hopefully there will be no more problems.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes done well without help on here , at least a Google 'cutting out vw t5 2.5 ' will now have an answer for others .

What do you no about lambda P2196 fault :D My next problem to sort !!

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good to see you seem to have sorted your problem.

I see that you have VCDS lite is it any good.?? I have a cheap scanner,which is .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I have put about 150 miles on the clock since the CPS was replaced. I have had absolutely no problems :)

I'm no expert at these kind of faults, but I have had a little experience with VCDS. I can highly recommend the lite version of this software as a cost effective way of scanning fault codes. I purchased a USB cable from ebay for £8 delivered, and the lite version of VCDS is free from the Ross Tech site.

Snowchudd, as for the lambda P2196 fault, I have had a look on the Ross Tech site for a description for this code, and it doesn't seem to be on there. was this scanned with VCDS or a different scan tool?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Snowchudd, as for the lambda P2196 fault, I have had a look on the Ross Tech site for a description for this code, and it doesn't seem to be on there. was this scanned with VCDS or a different scan tool?
My mate did it like you do ! I will find out , engine management light on and the code was

P2196 Volkswagen - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor

Possible causes

- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks may be faulty
- Vacuums leaks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts