VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW Caravelle 2010 Executive new shape, armrest removal.​

My wife and I were finding it awkward making our way from the front seats to the rear of our Caravelle past the folding armrests on the seats. As we seldom use the armrests, we decided to remove them.

The first thing to do was to remove the swivel covers. I tried pulling them off with my fingernails but they were not strong enough. Tearfully wiping the blood from my hands, I then scrabbled around in my toolbox I came across an old screwdriver. I popped the driver into a vice and bent the tip over to make a hook.

I then carefully inserted the hook behind the cover, easing it off by pulling gently, moving around the edge a little way, and then pulling again. By repeating the operation the cover came off.

This now revealed that the armrest was secured to the seat by a sunken bolt. The bolt head appeared to have a sunken star shaped recess to take a removal tool.

Looking amongst my socket sets I came across a spline bit that almost fitted but as it was a slack fit I was worried about damaging the bolt head so I ordered a:

Draper 12769 5 Piece Multi-Spline Bit Set - DIY & Tools
Buy new: £3.59
From Amazon.co.uk

The long size M10 fitted perfectly with no slack.

I found that the bolts have a right-hand thread and that they are fixed in place with some fixing substance like Loctite.

Warning, if you want to copy me, proceed at your own risk!

The bolt on the front passenger seat came out with reluctance; I had to screw it out, then in a little alternately until it came out.

The bolt on the driver’s seat was more difficult. It unscrewed a few turns then stuck. I protected the surrounding area with cloth then squirted WD40 down the bolt hole with a tube on the can nozzle. I had to repeat this every other day until, after about a week I managed to get the bolt out.

I cleaned the bolt threads with a metric Tap & Die set.

It is now much easier to pass between the seats, but I still have to cover the square fixings on the seats to make it look tidier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The square fixings have now been covered by the drilled out lids from a couple of 32mm film cassette containers. They are held in place by two 8mm roofing bolts from B&Q.

Fin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
virgobugs

I bought the mats from 'carmats4u'
http://www.carmats4u.com/VW-Caravelle-2006-Onwards/cid,2843766,index.html

My order was for:
VW Caravelle 2006 Onwards Classic Car Mats Carpet colour: Classic Charcoal Grey Trim Colour: Ribb Grey

Later, they let me order an axtra cross piece for the rear of the van as I removed the middle row of seats. I had to do this by telephone and it was no problem but of course I had to pay extra postage. So it's better to order everything required needed in one go.

John
Sorry to hear the doggy story.

I won't be selling the removed armrests as I will restore eveything to the original condition when I eventually sell the van.

As a temporary measure you might like to copy my modification.

This armsock was fitted to stop an allergic reaction Mrs Grockle had which was caused by the new leather seats. (Just a long grey stocking.)
Alternatively you could put a sock on the dogs muzzel. I:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Grockle, i have just fitted a double seat swivel to my T5 and came to the conclusion that the drivers seat arm rest has to be sacrificed to swivel the seat without damaging it. Your post has helped tremendously. Thank you. T:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts