Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just bought this van on a 54 plate
Wow it's thirsty anybody got any advice on decreasing fuel consumption

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Why would you buy a 3.2L V6 if you're concerned about mpg ?!

Chip remap perhaps ? I think they are under £200.

But an LPG gas conversion would be a great improvement, at a larger cost as you know.

Another thing would be drive slower :)

Chip might be the best bet.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Wow it's thirsty anybody got any advice on decreasing fuel consumption
Drive slower and smoother, try not to stop, do not accelerate hard. Cruise at 60 not 80. Fit LPG. Fit a TDI.

Buy a push bike (not actually being sarcastic, my van does 26mpg, I can afford to run this because I try not to use it for short journeys that I could do on a bike).

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I'll say this again: A VR6 /R32 engine is a thirsty beast and you really need to bee at the top of your game on servicing etc Its a fickle beast that if not looked after will result in poor mileage.

When was the last time it was serviced, all the filters changed, plugs etc? they need to be spot on.

Next, any misfires? again needs investigation and sorted as this can result in poor mileage

O2 Sensors - the VR6 especially was prone to lunching the sensor - I went through 2 in a matter of months before getting it right.

Throttle body - the butterfly should be spotless i.e not covered in carbon, clean and lubricate using 3in1 oil.. when you hold up the body to the light, there should be the finest of light seen around the butterfly

Hope this helps.. I was always tinkering with my VR6 and was the only one on the forum at the time to get text book mileage and I'm no slouch either...

Here's the recommended figures for the van, so I'd say you're doing not to bad:

Urban fuel consumption: 15.7mpg
Extra-urban fuel consumption: 29.1mpg
Combined fuel consumption: 22.2mpg

HTH T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the 3.2 v6 audi tt 245bhp not much you can do in way of performance and fuel consumption except drive as smooth as possible. Which is pretty hard when you hear the noise that comes out of it when accelerating hard.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts