VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 my caravelle and i was wondering if anybody has modded the auxilary engine heater (the one you can see in the n/s inner wing) so it can be switched manually? if so where is the sensor.. I was thinking that if you could run that for 5 mins before starting the engine then when you wanted a blast of hot air when it was a bit cold you wouldnt have to have the engine running as long.....

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a 2000 my caravelle and i was wondering if anybody has modded the auxilary engine heater (the one you can see in the n/s inner wing) so it can be switched manually? if so where is the sensor.. I was thinking that if you could run that for 5 mins before starting the engine then when you wanted a blast of hot air when it was a bit cold you wouldnt have to have the engine running as long.....
Yes it can / has been done, you can also wire it to run from your leisure battery if you want to run it for longer periods. You'll also need to fit a pump into the coolant circuit if you want to run it without the engine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm into the final stage of this conversion. I built an adapter cable for taking out the signals to d+, tempsensor, etc. I found the instruction and parts numbers at a german T4 forum. With four diods connected to the adapter cable, I can switch the aux. heater on manually when the engine runs.

I've just installed an Eberspächer's combivalve and a waterpump for runing it without the engine. The combivalve makes it possible to heat the heat-exchangers, without heating the engine.

A relay has been added for controlling the fan. I've choosen to use the fan of the rear heater since it doesn't take the air from the outside.

I've installed the modul-timer (moduluhr) since it fits nicely into the dashboard. I've connected a battery-gguard after the timer for awoiding the aux. heather to drain the battery.

Preparations have been done for installing a thermal sensor, so the fan doesn't start until the water has reached a certain temperature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts