VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been saving for a while to buy another transporter (had a t4 a while ago) now looking at a caravelle as set up is perfect for current situation. Problem is I need a dsg so wife can drive it (auto licence only!) But I cant find a decent 1 anywhere. I'm now looking at converting a van/kombi to caravelle. I've seen a nice twin slider dsg with reasonable milage and just wanted to try find out the best places to carry out this work/ quote on it. I know a lot of work needs to be done and it's not going to be cheap just wanted to be point Ted in the best direction. I'm in the east anglia area. Thanks Ben

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I realise you are probably frustrated, but converting a van to a caravelle would be much more than putting some seats in. I have not seen anyone do a full conversion - most particularly introducing caravelle ventilation to the rear seats. If you plan on carrying passengers without the side door and roof ventilation/climate control that is fitted to most Caravelles, it would make for an uncomfortable journey.

Imagine all that glass letting in the sun, throw in five passengers adding their own heat and a hot sunny day turns from a joy to misery. Opening the windows (if you have openers in the rear) is not really a solution and what ventilation it does offer only works when you are moving.

A Caravelle has six vents in the roof and two beside the doors. Kombi and van have none. Even if you could get all of the parts, fitting it will be difficult due to having to change much of the wiring.

If you really need a Caravelle, I would expand your search area and timescales.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked at few shuttles just got too much of a mini bus feel. Poffer I'm not too fussed with all the ventilation etc it was more the rail system that the caravelle has that I was looking into the installation of. It just works comfy seats, bed if needed, and the ability to add and easily take out a small kitchen pod as required.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've retrofitted a Caravelle seat-bed and rails to my van (have a nosey in my build thread in the link below). It's definitely a DIY-able job if you're OK with the spanners, if not there are a couple of places that will do the conversion for you, the main one that comes to mind is Oxford T5. He could probably do it with his eyes closed, and I believe will also provide certification in case you need it for your insurance company.

If you want to DIY it, I sourced my seat and rails from Kernow Transporters (although T5 Alive in Lincoln and others often have them available too on eBay etc.). The rails, covers and fixing bolts/brackets were £600 and then £1300 for the seat-bed in leather/alcantara - £2k in total delivered from Cornwall to my doorstep in Leeds.

There are a couple of conversion companies offering sliding seat-bed/rail systems now including Crystal Campers in Leeds, the GlideMotion from Clearcut Conversions, Reimo Variotech (has limited seat positions for driving though), the Cambee Flex, and Titan Beds have their Varimount (only available in 3/4 width though), Just Kampers and the Uberbus' Flux available from various installers.

All of which cost a whole stack of cash (circa £4-5k for the Rib Flux beds!) so it's worth doing your homework before you part with your cash!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an '06 Caravelle, which I bought as it suited me more than a Transporter. I have a multiflex board, which means I have a full width bed. I've also fitted a kitchen pod behind the passenger seat. It has all the luxuries of the velle, but can be a camper or a van with a few minutes.
Not sure what your budget is, but I personally think at the moment due to the market, older Caravelle's are effectively cheaper than a panel Van. The potential downside to Caravelle's is that they usually have high mileage (doesn't phase me), or they may have been converted to carry a wheel chair, so have seats missing or modifications to the rear.
Converting a van to Caravelle spec may be cost more in the long run.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your input, I'm now the proud owner of and 2008 caravelle. Found a really good genuine one with low ish miles 141k and the all important dsg!. Mab77 I like the idea of a pod does yours attach to the rails?. Was it a self build DIY job or did you buy it ready built?.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Easy enough to build something yourself if you've got the tools - and the T-bolts to secure into the rails are readily available online from places like eBay etc. That way you can make it fit your needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts