VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get stuck into this. How many have already completed the install?
Already noticed that i will need a longer door lock pin or rod on the sliding door, can anyone point out any other potential issues i might run into that could delay me on the night?

Much appreciated, cheers :ILU:

·
Registered
177 Posts
The door release rod on the sliding door is different too. When i fitted mine the door wouldnt latch shut. I STILL haven't got round to replacing it, or bending it so it works.

The seat belt adjusters are different too, but i just removed the sprung plastic bit from the velle trim and passed my originals through them. You will also need longer seat belt bolt spacers.

Also make sure you have all the fiddly fixing clips.

Oh and finally dont expect the fit to be up to much unless you spend hours aligning it all up.

Good luck and maybe post pics once you've finished?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers dude,
Im assuming the cliPs are the same on the rear pillars as the smaller ones in the front?
Managed to get the tailgate panel on eventually, seems ok to me, but I guess the hard bit will be when it comes to the window surrounds. I've still got to put the side windows in yet, hopefully this weekend, so game on from there.
Hope it's worth all the effort, did you insulate the cavities first?

·
Registered
869 Posts
hello,
I have got photos of the tailgate fit including the window surrounds I am hoping to have a build diary at some point to show others. If you need them for window let me know!
Dantro has said that the brass wire can be bent out of the way to prevent the door from catching!
Brass clips are then drilled to the bottom of the windows which fix in. I would be doing these now but am having to repair and carpet my original panesl

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mate that would be a great help!
can you email them to me please, or start a thread perhaps?
T:

·
Registered
869 Posts
can e mail photos that would be quickest!
PM your e mail address.
I have had loads of help from people on forum!
Mart

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was lucky and had bought the tailgate kit off the forum so hopefully you have the pieces. If not you could improvise and make brakets. I have to thank Moorsey, Dantro and TiggerTT for their advice. This may not be the correct way but it has worked and stayed in position.

1. There are four large brass right angle support brackets. They are fixed on the main brace where the rear wash wipe lives. there are three holes one to align I think and the other two to fix I used pop rivets to fix them to the door.

2. You should have a number of spring clips. Use increasingly larger metal bits (I bought Bosch) up to 8mm. It doesnt matter where these go just put them evenly across bottom of tailgate window apeture. Check this though you may see apetures in tailgate at top that need to be aligned to pop into.

3. There are four plastic clips (again that look like right angled ones (I had two black and two white) You will find on the face of the tailgate down the side of the curve that there are two holes in which they fix. Basically below the brass brackets around the side they go at equal distance towards the bottom of the tailgate.

Note two holes are parallel to each other screw hole goes to outside of van (you fix panel on here)

4. Buy some LOKUT NUTS (STANDARD) NO.6 7MM 0.8-2.4MM PACK x 50 and some self tapping screw flanged POZI Black 6 x 1 off ebay. The white plastic locknuts fit at the bottom of the tailgate (I thought they were four rectangular drain holes). The locknuts fit in there and have a little movement.

5. As you can see I carpetted my panels (different colours, cracks, repairs etc)

6. Fit the tailgate panel onto the brackets (there are black plastic hooks to hook on the inside of the panel)

Starting from the bottom fix the black screws into the white locknuts, get them started dont tighten them fully.

The 4 plastic right angles on the side have a screw each.

The panel is pushed into place at the top, the spring clips holding the panel into place.

7. Window panels.
Look on inside of window panels there are ridges. In the corresponding place on the frame mark and drill (increasing size) two brass spring clips as pictured. The lip or ridge holds panel in place look for where rear screen heater is to get it on the right one.

There are clips at the top of the panel that if you arent carpetting should pop into holes at the top.

Due to carpet I had to remove the clips and use more of the loknuts. Either way when popped in you put a screw in each one to hold it in place. You will be left with two legs dangling down of the window surround. push the lip/ridge into the window frame and it stays there.

8. Above tailgate.
The inside of this panel has slots. You place a clip into this (ultimately you could use the fir type clips into the corresponding hole but they are a git to get out) the clip then goes into a round plastic raw plug type affair that is already in the hole. If you dont have them you could order some 8mm SCREW TYPE RIVET SCRIVETS CAR TRIM BODY PANEL CLIP and chuck the screws.

PS I am in the process of getting the other ones done, trial and error really but have had to cut and glue a LWB into a SWB panel as I have a twin slider.
Hopefully this will be of use to people, I hope to complete the doors next but the rod kept fouling!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Legend!

Quick question, the brass clips that go down the vertical frames and hold the window surround, does the position of these allow the plastic to actually clip on or does it just kind of hold it in place when it's fixed in other areas?

The reason i ask, i'm sitting here trying to work it out with the plastic in front of me and a clip. It seems that the clip has a recess in which the felted "barb" part of the plastic slots into, but for this to work i would have thought that the retaining part of the clip would need to sit proud of the frame so that the plastic can wedge behind it?

in your pics the clips look like they are mounted with the retaining part sitting in line with the frame, does this still allow the felted barb part of the plastic to grab hold of it? It also looks to me like your clips are a bit more compressed than mine. I could always get out there and work it out trial and error, but worried i might end up drilling 5 holes to get the right position :confused:

·
Registered
869 Posts
The plastic forces the brass clip upwards and it is then wedged in position. It acts like a latch.

I placed the clip with the edge against the frame nearest the horizontal. Not an exact science but having seen other original Caravelles they have protective felt in this part so I wanted a close fit hence fitting it as close as possible.

You can bend the clips prior to fitting to ensure good fixing.

I didnt believe it but when you push the plastic into the spring clip it just works.

Make sure you put some sort of rust preventer on drilled holes!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok this is making sense to me now A:
I'll give it a crack and photo the progress.

Let me know how you get on with the others T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was lucky and had bought the tailgate kit off the forum so hopefully you have the pieces. If not you could improvise and make brakets. I have to thank Moorsey, Dantro and TiggerTT for their advice. This may not be the correct way but it has worked and stayed in position.

1. There are four large brass right angle support brackets. They are fixed on the main brace where the rear wash wipe lives. there are three holes one to align I think and the other two to fix I used pop rivets to fix them to the door.

2. You should have a number of spring clips. Use increasingly larger metal bits (I bought Bosch) up to 8mm. It doesnt matter where these go just put them evenly across bottom of tailgate window apeture. Check this though you may see apetures in tailgate at top that need to be aligned to pop into.

3. There are four plastic clips (again that look like right angled ones (I had two black and two white) You will find on the face of the tailgate down the side of the curve that there are two holes in which they fix. Basically below the brass brackets around the side they go at equal distance towards the bottom of the tailgate.

Note two holes are parallel to each other screw hole goes to outside of van (you fix panel on here)

4. Buy some LOKUT NUTS (STANDARD) NO.6 7MM 0.8-2.4MM PACK x 50 and some self tapping screw flanged POZI Black 6 x 1 off ebay. The white plastic locknuts fit at the bottom of the tailgate (I thought they were four rectangular drain holes). The locknuts fit in there and have a little movement.

5. As you can see I carpetted my panels (different colours, cracks, repairs etc)

6. Fit the tailgate panel onto the brackets (there are black plastic hooks to hook on the inside of the panel)

Starting from the bottom fix the black screws into the white locknuts, get them started dont tighten them fully.

The 4 plastic right angles on the side have a screw each.

The panel is pushed into place at the top, the spring clips holding the panel into place.

7. Window panels.
Look on inside of window panels there are ridges. In the corresponding place on the frame mark and drill (increasing size) two brass spring clips as pictured. The lip or ridge holds panel in place look for where rear screen heater is to get it on the right one.

There are clips at the top of the panel that if you arent carpetting should pop into holes at the top.

Due to carpet I had to remove the clips and use more of the loknuts. Either way when popped in you put a screw in each one to hold it in place. You will be left with two legs dangling down of the window surround. push the lip/ridge into the window frame and it stays there.

8. Above tailgate.
The inside of this panel has slots. You place a clip into this (ultimately you could use the fir type clips into the corresponding hole but they are a git to get out) the clip then goes into a round plastic raw plug type affair that is already in the hole. If you dont have them you could order some 8mm SCREW TYPE RIVET SCRIVETS CAR TRIM BODY PANEL CLIP and chuck the screws.

PS I am in the process of getting the other ones done, trial and error really but have had to cut and glue a LWB into a SWB panel as I have a twin slider.
Hopefully this will be of use to people, I hope to complete the doors next but the rod kept fouling!
Hi mate, I know its been a whill since your original post but do you have the photoes for the dead links please? T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts