VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie I thought I should start here.

Had a near miss today after a puncture on the nearside rear of our 54 plate Velle. I had tested the jack on our drive when we got the van and it seemed easy to use. Problem is when the tyre is flat it is far from being straight forward. The van was empty too. I see someone on facebook calls this type of jack a widow maker and I think I would agree with them. Fortunately when the jack moved the old wheel was still bolted on as I was unloading the spare. Only damage is a dent on my perfect sills agh! agh! Borrowed a trolley jack from a nearby farm and managed to change OK. That was when the rain stopped. (please don't laugh) I now see the later T5s have a full scissor type jack. Is this worth having or would I be better buying a proper 2 tonne bottle jack and making a saddle adaptor to fit the jacking point?

Any advice would be welcome.

I still love the van though. With the 174 engine it is a joy on long runs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I too have an 04 caravelle and same thing happened with the jack damaging the sill. Managed to get jack out and changed wheel with trolley jack. Now carry range rover classic hydraulic jack. Thankfully not needed it yet.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
and managed to change OK. That was when the rain stopped. (please don't laugh)

LOL:LOL:LOL: what us - on here laugh - never.

If you have the room to carry it a small trolley jack will, IMHO be better (& useful for other things). Often, you will need a plate of some sort to put under a bottle jack if the surface is unstable or rough - a trolly jack spreads the weigh a little better plus you have the "cup" which is easier to place than the small top of a bottle jack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am running with a 1.5 tonne trolley jack in the back for now. The problem I can foresee is that when I am fully loaded then I am going to need something with maybe 2 to 3 tonnes capacity and capable of picking up on the jacking points front and rear. Our Velle also doubles as a tow barge for our race trailer and is replacing our old Ford Ranger XLT. The Ranger has an old fashioned screw type bottle jack that I have used in anger and it worked well. I will let you know when I have tested some ideas. Good job for VAG that I didn't buy the Velle new otherwise I would be singing "not fit for purpose".

There is a good reason why you can see so many T5s in the paddock at race meetings, they tow well.

Out of interest I am getting about 38 mpg running around and got 53 mpg average when we collected it and I followed my wife who drove the Ranger home at no more than 50 mph!

We have returned to Transporters having had a Devon Splitty and Devon Bay Window when the kids were small. Sold the first for £50 and the second for £200. It was a long time ago.

Hope you haven't been washed away in Margate.

Thanks again

·
Registered
406 Posts
...you had good sense to try the jack at home when you bought the van - I bet not many people do !

I can't find a cupboard big enough for a trolley jack in our camper.......personally, on a cold, dark, wet night, I might be tempted to call the RAC......

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The problem I can foresee is that when I am fully loaded then I am going to need something with maybe 2 to 3 tonnes capacity and capable of picking up on the jacking points front and rear.

Hope you haven't been washed away in Margate.
Don't forget you won't be lifting the whole vehicle at the same time.

No, not washed away - nearly being blown away though !

·
Special Rapporteur
10,059 Posts
My 2013 van came with a jack which is a bit strange looking - it isn't quite a scissor jack. I tested it a couple of times on my drive and it ~seems~ Ok but I've not simulated the depth of lift of a real flat tyre.

One problem is that it's quite hard to find a bottle jack that is both short enough to fit under the van when it has a flat tyre but also has enough lift to get the wheel off the ground. I tried, but couldn't find one (though it's almost trivial to find ones that will fit under if the van does ~not~ have a flat tyre!).

Like sunowner, I don't have the spare space in the back of mine to carry a trolley jack all the time, so I will either have to risk using the original or wait for a recovery company to come out and hope they don't damage it with their jack...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fortunately when the jack moved the old wheel was still bolted on as I was unloading the spare.
Just a thought...I know the outcome would probably have been the same, but if you had got the spare wheel out first of all then the jack wouldn't have been disturbed by the movements of removing the spare...and the jack would have been raised for a shorter time as well. :*

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just a quick question on the subject of jacks can anyone recommend a tidy trolley jack to carry around in the van T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not too easy to get the spare wheel out when a rear tyre is flat, though I agree, if possible remove the spare before jacking.

I'm sure i'll have fun changing a flat as I have RR wheels and suspect that the jack won't go high enough For the 19" Wheel !!!! Think I might try to find a trolley jack that will fit under the passenger (Twin) seat

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have 20's and the jack won't lift high enough I do carry a bottle jack but don't feel confident with it as it's got a small footprint, so I am looking at buying a tidy trolley jack to keep in the back

·
Special Rapporteur
10,059 Posts
Have you looked at the smallest trolley jack that Machine Mart sell? According to my measurements it goes low enough and high enough for a van with 16" wheels (and a flat tyre) and Clarke is a reasonable make. If you want lighter weight they also do an alloy one, but it's more than 4 times the price.

Incidentally, one of the good things about having 19" or 20" wheels on a van is that with a flat it stays much higher off the ground than with original wheels and tyres, so you shouldn't need a jack with as big a range (unless a wheel breaks...)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks for that I have looked at machine mart online I think I will take a drive over to my local store the weekend

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Thats what we did, I would not worry about the weight, ours is a T28 so I do not think a couple of kilos is a major worry.... made a couple of mods to stop it moving and to hold the locking nut and a set of original bolts for the spare ....T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts