VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about parting with my middle row of seats & planning to sell em with the belts...

Does anyone know how hard it is to get the seat belts out?
Is it gonna be a full panel removal type effort, or can it be done by just reaching behind?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheeeers!
Sam

·
Registered
682 Posts
Was thinking about doing the very same thing but it looks like a panel off job. I did think that removing the seat belts might work against me when selling the van in the future though, so have decided against it for now. I still can't figure out what seating configuration to go for in the back yet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my concern too.
I rarely use them tho & just found out i'll be losing my garage space soon. They do take up a fair bit of space. Plus the cash would be handy right now - I'm hankering after a Khyam!

Configuration-wise, I've just kept my rear row & made a kind of bed / table set up with an Ikea futon mattress on top. It keeps 3 proper belted seats which is all I really need. Working out pretty well so far...

Have added curtains & swivel bases recently, but not taken more pics yet. Have some nice new black carpet to go in too. Will probably wait til after Glastonbury to fit that tho, coz I know it's gonna get muddy :(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
682 Posts
That looks excellent, its given me an idea or two that's for sure. Do you have rear passengers and if so, do they feel too far removed from any conversations going on in the front?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you do have to shout a bit...
Serious increase in road noise since I fitted the wider wheels too.
Well anticipated - it is an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks for the reply,looks like you have only one matress?

also is it still comfy enough even though you have the gap between the seats and table?and the change in level on the rear seat?

think you gave me a great idea here
jez

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jez,

Sorry - yeh, it's just the one mattress.

There isn't a gap between the seats & table - With the headrests removed, the table/front bed section slides right up against the folded seat.
Folded seat sits about 2cm higher at the front edge until you put any weight on it, then the foam compresses & it's totally flat over the 3 sections.
The mattress ends up overhanging at the front by about 6 inches, but that's kind of handy as it protects the backs of your legs as you dismount!

Ikea do 2 thicknesses of futon mattress & I went for the thicker one. It's more comfortable than my bed at home & the whole structure is absolutely rock solid :D

One concern that I had was that it would be too high in the van, but really not a problem. & gives plenty of storage space underneath

Glad I didn't go the built in sink, fridge & hob route. We just cook outside on a couple of those £10 stoves (BRILLIANT!). I cut a piece of silver lino to the same shape as the table/bed section & roll it out to cook on...

Once I get my Khyam, I think I'll be just about done I:

·
Registered
35 Posts
looking great thats the kind of campers i like none of flafing with sinks and cupboards ect just a bed that all we want.we are going to get a pull out awning to cook under.

can i just ask are those legs poss to cut down in size?
they look strong enough .but do they wobble about at all?

my mate was going to wield up a box section frame for the rear as i already thought i could put little one in the boot and we can sleep on the floor but you idea is way better.

we have our middle seat still in and its facing the rear,so when i fold both seats down it leaves a small gap between the 2 seats and a little space at the side near door.so i am going to make up 2 little tables to go in there that fold down ,just to make up when making into a bed

could well be sleeping in our velle soon with your help.(i hate tents)!!!!

thanks jez

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers!
Way I see it, I drive the van a lot more often than I'd ever cook in it. Couldn't be doing with a bunch of rattly stuff in the back every day.

Legs are easy to cut down & totally rock solid. I tried first with a pipe cutter, which ended up piching the end down too much & left marks on the leg. Think a hacksaw is the way forward - rotating & cutting to keep a straight line. That handy little bag came from Aldi.

Reckon 2 smaller front sections would work just fine. The mattress holds everything in place really well.

Good luck with the construction & give me a shout if there's anythings anything else you'd like to know :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very nice! I have considered buying Multivan, but my Caravelle is now in quite good shape after spending a bunch of €uros in it....wouldn't like to start over again....

I had same kind of ideas, but I did not have the idea of front section. That table looks great.
Do you remember the measures for the table? Would you recommend to do the same size table or smaller/bigger?

Oh yeah, I also love the colour of your 'velle ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!
Can't remember exact size - it's basically the full size of the boot.
If you fold the seat down & get in the back with a tape measure, it's easy to work out.
Just one small cut-out in one corner:

I do remember that it's just slightly too big to get both sections out one sheet of 8'x4' ply, so I had to use 2.
Wouldn't be able to go bigger & still fit them in the boot.
If you went smaller, a double mattress would overhang too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
we have our middle seat still in and its facing the rear,so when i fold both seats down it leaves a small gap between the 2 seats and a little space at the side near door.so i am going to make up 2 little tables to go in there that fold down ,just to make up when making into a bed

Jez do you have three seats facing backwards or do you mean in the multivan type seats? I want my velle (when I buy one) to have the three seats facing to the rear then upto 6 passengers can face each other. What did you do regarding the seatbelt for the rear facing seats?

Thanks Jez

·
Registered
161 Posts
im going to make a start on kitting my velle out, ive bought in a couple of sheets of 18mm ply and will have a go on the folding bed, this is quite an old post i was wondering if anyone had any further usefull info they would care to share before i start? i cant wait to get away in the van, my good lady insists we wait till the spring now boo hoo.

the idea looks great im still going to install a small witchen area, but will build the bed first and then see what we got left to play with.

im sure a few more folk have gone down this bed route now so any more pics

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am glad i found this thread :) just bought a velle and did not want to take the rear seat out to fit a r&r bed.any more info and pics,has anyone fitted a removable kitchen pod. T:

·
Registered
89 Posts
cheers stinkbomber, fantastic idea started mine yesterday got all bits from ikea as you suggested. Futon was £70 and the legs were £3.25 each. While we were there we looked in the kitchen section and found an aluminium kitchen utensil rack which when fitted side on makes a great sliding rail for the table,so neat. That was£2.95 for a metre lenght I will have to upload some bics when finished.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts