VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Heres my, 1991 1.9D. The Logbook says Caravelle - but I'm not so sure! It had factory side windows and middle row of seats.

What gives? Is this an error? Is there any advantage of having Caravelle stated on my V5 over Transporter?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I allways thought a caravelle had windows all round, but there are lots of vans about like yours that are classed as a caravelle, so i dont know but would be interested to see what others think.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think VW sold vans like this as Kombi vans. Ex AA vans are all Kombi's i think.
Not sure why so many log books say caravelle. I could be wrong, and it could officially be a caravelle.
The most useful piece of information on your log book is your chassis number, WV1 numbers indicate a panel van chassis, and WV2 indicate a chassis designed por people movement. There is also a third classification i think (WV3?) for special chassis.
If you want to fit rear seats and belts, WV2 is the most convenient.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread but mine is an ex AA - What is the advantage of having a kombi? Ie, do I get the higher speed limits? Do I get to go in the LEZ? Etc???

Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Loads of Transporters were registered as Caravelles

A Caravelle is a vehicle factory built with windows all round and 2 rows of rear seating,plastic and carpet factory panels inside

I've seen Ex - AA Vans registered as Caravelles and Kombis

:ILU:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So mines insured as a window van, can I change this and get any price breaks? Just a thought :ILU:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Reclassifying your chassis type will not change your taxation class unfortunately.
As for the LEZ... there are huge threads detailing this subject, but essentially it depends on a combination of chassis type, engine type, number of seats, max load capacity and whatever else TFL invents on the spot. So, no, having a Kombi caravelle or WV2 chassis will not help with the LEZ.

The immediate advantage of having a VW2 chassis is that they came prepared from factory to accept certain types of seats and seat belts. This makes fitting these at a later date much less of a headache. Loads of threads on this too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair dues, cheers, I am usually a searcher, it jusr crossed my mind whilst looking at the pre-96 thread thats all T:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread but mine is an ex AA - What is the advantage of having a kombi? Ie, do I get the higher speed limits? Do I get to go in the LEZ? Etc???

Thanks
Chris
If it is a Caravelle on the log it is more likely to feature as a Diesel Car with seats x 5 or 6, but if listed as Transporter Van it may be harder to use in the LEZ area of London. I may be wrong on this.

As far as difference to the vehicle, none. Just how it was labelled and registered. But LEZ do now let older Caravelles into the LEZ next year if you have less than 9 seats. Or so it seems.

Check the vehicle reg docs for how it is listed and then check on the LEZ car reg checker. T:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Cheers David. Im not likely to go into the LEZ anyway but thought it was worth thinking about as i do have a friend who lives close to the area and I think may be in it now actually so I wont be able to go in with the vann anymore I think.

Also I guess I am more interested in the speed limit issues but thank you *<:)>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If it is a Caravelle on the log it is more likely to feature as a Diesel Car with seats x 5 or 6, but if listed as Transporter Van it may be harder to use in the LEZ area of London. I may be wrong on this.

As far as difference to the vehicle, none. Just how it was labelled and registered. But LEZ do now let older Caravelles into the LEZ next year if you have less than 9 seats. Or so it seems.

Check the vehicle reg docs for how it is listed and then check on the LEZ car reg checker. T:
AH MAN thats exactly the type of info I wanted to glean, thats some awesome info. T:

EDIT :

03 Jan 2012 to onwards Non-Compliant

Ah well looks like they thought of that, robbing barstweards!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts