VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car ever - and I started with T4. As a first post on this forum I decided to ask you guys what did I get myself into.

In papers (Switzerland) car is labelled as 'T4 SYNCRO'. Same is written on the tailgate, with additional badge of 'Swiss'. I have double passenger seat in front, two rows o seats in the back. Middle seat row seems like it is not original (different material pattern, different colour of seat belts). I have standing heating, and air con for the back seats.

More details on imgur.

So far I managed to orientate myself a bit and definitely confirm this is not Multivan ;) But - is it Caravelle? Or not?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im new to this myself , still learning , but i have a standard window van delivery style , I know the caravelles came out with bigger engine and different things , extra seats and a people mover , but I also know the Synchro is actually an all wheel drive , saying it behaves like a 4wd people mover , so you can either drive the front wheels or or both front and back , it has a tailshaft , yet i think the caravelles were more made to be a campevan type model

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Your pictures show a Caravelle, Looks like its a short wheelbase 9 seater. Your picture of the boot floor shows an unusual panel showing through the carpet, I suspect that is the spare wheel mounting position as the four wheel drive system uses the normal space. Your middle row would have had three single seats that clip to the mushroom bolts that can be seen.

WIKI says :-
The T4 was also available with a permanent 4WD system that uses a Viscous coupling unit as a centre differential to regulate the distribution of torque to the rear axle. These models are called "syncro" and were available with the 2.4D, 2.5Tdi and 2.5 petrol engines on all body types and both wheelbases. Some syncro models also have a mechanically locking rear differential. Since the rear differential precludes the placement of the spare wheel in the usual place under the body, syncro vans either store it inside the body or on an external, hinged bracket.

You might find this useful http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx if you can find your build codes which are normally on a sticker (hidden) near the fuses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you JonCa - this is really helpful! Also suspected that the mounting is for spare wheel but since the car came without it (nor was there any screw/mounting there I was not able to solve that. I will also have check if there is a space under the car for spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts