VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just purchased meself a caravelle been told its a 2.0 but not quiete sure yet, so anyway what are they like on petrol.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Not sure what the 2.0 are like but my 2.5i does 29mpg at best!! 425-450miles to a 70l tank.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Mines the same ish.
The 2.5's are ment to be better on fuel than the 2lt, at a guess its because the 2.5 is doing less work etc.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
l have 1995 P reg 2ltr petrol 72,000 on the clock and does 30mpg approx, it is a fully converted hightop and carries a family of four everywhere on a daily basis.

It has proven to be very reliable an goes really well, 30mpg l think is fine:cool:

How many miles has yours done, and has it been serviced every 10,000?

Worth getting the timing and v belts done if not already done recently, and a full service at the same time.

Did this with mine when first bought, mechanic said l had less than 500 miles left in timing belt, phew, peace of mind getting it done and a service.

2ltr petrols l feel are one of the best VW engines, everyone goes for diesel these days, but l feel petrol has less to go wrong with them.

Tax is £190 and post 1993 need CATs, l get parts from VAG and local mechanic sorts out, got the front discs and brakes replaced, he charged me £35, parts were ££105 good price if you ask me.

Good luck with purchase and keep us posted.T:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
i had a 2-5 petrol,did about the same mpg as wot everyone else has said but went like a frikken train!defo wouldnt be scared of a petrol t4,you probably would get a little more mpg out of a diesel but no where near the car like driveabilty!:ILU:i loved mine,got a 1.9 t5 now,like drivin a wind up tractor!:eek:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
LOL: Gotta agree. the petrol engine in mine is strong as an ox and so smooth to drive, yes its a little drinker but you gotta love that grunt :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a petrol VR6 - 2.8 it does sh*t all to the gallon but it sounds REAL NICE !!!!!!
Not helpful - but I thought i'd let you know !

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got a 2L caravelle, I also get just below the 30mpg mark too, 134k on the clock, doesn't smoke or drink oil, plenty of grunt, doesn't slow down on the hills. Easy to work on and parts are cheap, as it's a low compression version of the Golf GTi lump, loads of bits left in the scrap yard. My one tip would be- always carry a spare blue top 2 pin water temp sender in the van, kills 99 % of all known problems! If you feel you need genuine engine spares, always try the VW car dealer first, my local dealer parts bloke owns a T4, so he's always helpfull, the VW commercial dealer is miles away, although he has been helpful over the phone! (Must be the only pair of helpful main dealers in the country)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am driving my 2.8i V6 as fast as I can so as to burn more fuel so I can pay more taxes !! Someone needs to help pay for the new green goverment policies. LOL.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yep Bunter, good tip. I've replaced 3 during the last 101k. They sorted out most of the problems, then the last time I changed the lamba probe too and its running better than ever. I get 17-20mpg on LPG, but always loaded 8-900kg and I beat the cak out of ol' bessie the 2L 2001 transporter. Roll on my newly puchased TDI velle for more grunt and higher cruising speeds. It'll do but the 2L is anemic, I've spent 5 years in the Alps in mine and enough is enough. Good for moderate loads and flat cruising but little more without drinking the gas severly. Always fancied the GTI lump in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts