VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently fitted Caravelle seat rails along with a ply sub floor with a vinyl top covering.

I would like a removable fitted carpet mat to finish off the section in front of my rear bench especially for when it's wet out.

Does anybody know of anybody who makes and sells such a mat specifically with cut outs around the seat rails?I:

Cheers...Andy

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dave this is definitely a tricky one

The thing is i started with a panel van (rails not fitted) i cut a ply floor thinking i was going to go for a full camper i.e. side units and randr bed then changes my plan.

so i already had a 12.5mm floor neatly cut knowing that i needed a total of approx 30mm including finishing surface to bring the floor level up to the caravelle rail height decided to over lay the original floor with 15mm ply and a 3mm vinyl floor .

I had to remove the 12.5mm floor and install the rail system, before bolting the rails down i relayed the 12.5mm floor and drilled through the floor, i then placed the the rails back on the floor a drew round them to get the cut out positions.

I then used the 12.5mm floor as a template to cut my 15mm floor i had to make a few adjustments around the step area as the caravelle step is slightly different to the shuttle step which i fitted originally

Now if you have the rails fitted already ? you should forget all of the above waffle and use the carpet as template but what i would do is unclip all of the aluminium trim and unscrew the cargo loops (if you have them) from the rails then fit your ply and floor covering , replace the trims when complete.

Hope this makes sense :*

see here for results

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=145371&page=3

if you get stuck feel free to ask T:

Cheers...Andy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Andy,

Many thanks for getting back to me. Its amazing how similar my van is to yours. I also used AJC, the same seats, even the light switch. One thing ive done that I'm quite happy with is to carpet the half bulkhead and fit power sockets into it. i got some silver dome nuts of ebay for 99p to cover the bolts heads which are left and they make a nice cobtrasr to the dark carpet. I only did this as my front seats weren't folders, if they were this would change things.

My rails are fitted and I tried to use the original VW floor which i picked up for £75 second hand (Just missed out on a new one for £50, gutted) anyway I pulled the carpet of the top and recovered it in vinyl, but its not right and the edging (my cutting) is terrible. So the plan is ditch it, do as you said and raise trim fit ply and recover. I like the tiles, they'll be easier to work with and actually look better.

Thanks again, and i may come back to you.

Dave

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not long done my caravelle flooring and quite right its a pain in the ass!!

Ive gone for a 6mm ply inbetween ribs on the bare floor just to ridged things up a bit!!

Then a further 6mm sub base sitting on the ribs of the floor.
Then 12mm Celotex
Then 9mm Ply with Joint across van under the bench seat postition.

Then Covering approx 2-3mm

Total 30mm

Took f'kin ages!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts