VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

Does anyone know the rough cost for supply & installation of the tracking the Caravelle seats run on?:*

I am looking at getting two captains seats in the rear of my van, have found some good ones cheap but not sure the extra costs involved?

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Happy New Year everyone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David,

Ive had a look but cant see any prices and the seats already have the fittings on for the VW tracking system so for safety sake I would most prob stick with those.

Thanks for your help though mate.

Danny

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Mate,

I sent colin a PM the other day but no reply, Spose i will have to bite the bullet & ring him.

Thanks.

Danny

·
Registered
73 Posts
*<:)>
I'm in the same boat - caravelle captains seats with no rails :(

Having trolled through ebay (uk and de) for the last month I doubt a bargain is going to pop up:*

I have looked at Unwin and they probably allow more flexibility + plenty of converters will certify Unwin installed seats. Problem I see is making up right angle brackets to replace the caravelle mounts. Can these be brought? Has this been done in the past with juicy pics?;)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I've just got some rails and caravelle rear bench. I'll be taking some pictures as I go when I start fitting later this week!

Feel free to donate some rear captain seats to me guys, they would sit at home nice on my rails lol

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Hi Danny, think we have since spoken. Sorry if i didn't reply, I always do but yours must have slipped through, and i'm up til 1am most nights just trying to catch up with all the enquiries!. I'm not complaining as good to be busy, just difficult to find time to fit it all in!! If we haven't since spoken please contact me again and I'll do all I can to help.
I have caravelle seats and floor rail systems for sale but only sell the rails with the seats usually.
I can also do a half set of rails and 2 captains seats and also have the caravelle floors, tables etc in stock.
I can advise forum members who wish to fit there own, its what the forum is all about.:)
We charge £350 to fit the rails + the cost of the chassis reinforcing brackets (approx £35-40) which I would always advise using.
This involves 2 men approx 5-6 hours to do it properly and safely and also includes a fitting certificate.
Happy New year to all !!
best wishes,
Colin

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Any fitting tips you can offer would be appreciated Colin as I think I'll be fiting mine this week!

Sorry I didn't get them from you in the end, but I got a bargain I couldnt refuse!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Just a heads up guys, I spoke to Colin today (very nice helpful chap, considering I didn't buy my seats from him in the end!) he gave me a few pointers and told me which reinforcing brackets to get so I an fit my rails.

Going to have a go on Saturday hopefully should go smoothly but I can see it being fiddly without a ramp!

Depending how stressful and how long it takes I'll try to get some pictures from underneath when I get the covers off as with the undertrays and heatshield its all a mystery at the moment.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just a heads up guys, I spoke to Colin today (very nice helpful chap, considering I didn't buy my seats from him in the end!) he gave me a few pointers and told me which reinforcing brackets to get so I an fit my rails.

Going to have a go on Saturday hopefully should go smoothly but I can see it being fiddly without a ramp!

Depending how stressful and how long it takes I'll try to get some pictures from underneath when I get the covers off as with the undertrays and heatshield its all a mystery at the moment.

Wish me luck!
Good luck mate it took me all weekend when i did mine bearing in mind i was on my own no ramp and had to chisel my previously sikaflexed subfloor down that stuff sticks man:eek:

heres a pointer for ya i made blocks of wood to fit snuggly in the rail with a centre line drawn on so i could measure the centres of the rails bang on they should be 380mm between each rail and parallel T:

Let the fun begin:)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Good idea!!

Did you find any holes were already there underneath in the chassis but not through the floor?

Im doing mine with my mechanic mate (mainly so i can make use of his workshop and heater, i have my own but recently moved and the farmer hasnt pu the double door in yet.

Should be a fun day!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Good idea!!

Did you find any holes were already there underneath in the chassis but not through the floor?

Im doing mine with my mechanic mate (mainly so i can make use of his workshop and heater, i have my own but recently moved and the farmer hasnt pu the double door in yet.

Should be a fun day!
There are plenty of holes underneath for every seat combo i.e. kombi, shuttle,etc but there isn't a cross member hole for each rail hole.

They are about 13mm tho and i think the bolt sizes are around 9 or 10mm make sure you get them as bang in the middle as you can

Best thing to do after you have stripped the parts off the bottom including lowering the tank is lay your rails in and weigh up the first hole position at the rear(you can get to these and drill from underneath)put bolts in these holes

Set your rails up then by measuring your 38cm and line up the slots where the seat drops in at the front ,drill a pilot hole from the top through your rails .

Go under and check if your pilot holes are centred with the factory chassis holes if not drag them and open full size again from top.

remove rails hoover swarf and i sprayed mine with primer

refit rails measure again and bolt up

fewwww that was a mouth full :)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Good tips mate, I'll start up a blog this weekend but I'll update this thread to let you all know how I get on!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had mine done for me, but assisted where possible and isurefly's advice above is the way mine were done. I was nervous about the paralell alignment of the rails, but 2 months on its all fine and they've been move round a lot.

Wish me luck!
Any chance you can share the part numbers with me? I bought the wrong bits last time and had to hand modify them. got new seats and rails and now planning another conversion.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Well that wasn't fun. VW certainly like their undertrays and awkward shaped heatshield.

Took us about 8-9hrs working at a leisurely pace I was up all night with food poisoning last night so wasn't my usual spiritly self.

The fitting of rails was the easy bit. Exposing the blot holes underneath was a mission. Ill write a bit more of a story when I have recovered lol

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Yup. Just need to source some trims now. And a new rear step and side door steps.

Also I got the wrong trim bits for the rails so will sort that too. They look different to yours

1 - 20 of 21 Posts