VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

Just about to take the plunge and get a SWB 61 plate T5 panel van with the intention of having as flexible as possible a seating arrangement in the back that will allow the van to be used during the week to cart the kids (2) about, whilst at the weekends being able to get my surfing and kitesurfing kit comfortably in, either by removing fixed seats, or possibly having a sliding arrangement to move them out the way.

I've spoken to a converter who'll do a 2+1 kombi install with all the approved safety certification, but browsing the forum I've been seduced by the flexibility of the Caravelle seating.

What's the deal with safety, insurance etc with retrofitting Caravelle seating to the van. My first priority is the safety of my kids!

Cheers
George

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Can't speak about retro fitting but I'm made up with the flexibility of my Caravelle. Doing up a flat at minute and with the rear seat removed, I can take loads to the dump instead of paying for expensive skip. I have seven crash tested seats so can transport the family safely using it as a car too. I bought the multiflex board and this allows me to sleep in it as use it as a surf bus too.
Not had a kombi but can highly recommend the Caravelle set up for total flexibility.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm with the Velle too. Sound proofed and cozy to sleep in. Very flexible. You do have to plan the camping side a bit. Gotta removeable kitchen pod A:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Caravelle seating is more practical, however more expensive to buy initially and more expensive to fit/finish.

Floor fixings are reinforced in the same way as the kombi seating with plates riveted to the underfloor and far more bolts than ever really needed, 10 per rail!!

If you have the budget then i would go caravelle.T:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Im about to sell my rock and roll bed and get a Caravelle rear seat as i need the flexibility and more so the safety of one, but i just wondered what they are like to sleep on with the multiflex board, any info would be appreciatedT:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not perfectly flat... however I slept on mine for 10 consecutive night and found it very comfortable. I have added a made to measure memory foam topper now and it is great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Sourced a pre-reg white 12 plate SWB T5.1 today and I reckon I'll be going the Caravelle option. Just need to source some seats and find an installer in Scotland!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Can't speak about retro fitting but I'm made up with the flexibility of my Caravelle. Doing up a flat at minute and with the rear seat removed, I can take loads to the dump instead of paying for expensive skip. I have seven crash tested seats so can transport the family safely using it as a car too. I bought the multiflex board and this allows me to sleep in it as use it as a surf bus too.
Not had a kombi but can highly recommend the Caravelle set up for total flexibility.
Me too! Ultimately flexible T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts