VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am new to this game so hope this goes to plan...
I have recently become the very proud owner of a T5 Caravelle after many years of lusting! The van is generally in very good condition for a 2004 model, but it does have one irritating fault. There is a fan motor in each front door which circulates air to the back. No matter what, these motors are running constantly when the ignition / engine are on. Even if the button on the dash for air to the back of the van is off and the blowers in the back are off!
They did stop for a few weeks, but started again today while I was sat at traffic lights!

Anybody got any idea why this might be happening?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you wouldn't notice until they are on constantly. If you turn on the blowers in the back then open the front doors, there is a vent in the door by the wingmirror and if you put your hand over it you feel it sucking air from behind the dash to blow into the back...

Thanks for the response T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same issue. They used to only come on when rear heating was switched on in front dash, now the door fans run constantly....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no... never resolved.... Its very intermittent and I think its only when its stood in the rain for a few days. But still happens now and then. Any help would be appareciated

·
Registered
188 Posts
do you have the digital display air con? if not then it may not apply to your bus, with mine you tap the button once for rear heating(to adjust it) and tap it again for side blowers. maybe you have a sticky button issue? they can be quite loud but useful too in this damp weather. mines an 05 btw.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I'm not so sure there is a fan in the doors:*
I might be wrong......
I had an issue with my windscreen demist where if you pressed the button you could hear the fan spin up to full power but no air came out :confused:
it took me ages to nail the problem down.
what I found out was the climatronic system relies on servos to open and close flaps (obvious really) and the servo for the windscreen demist had gone faulty (it was intermittent happening about 95% of the time). It was a nightmare to do but I found the relevant servo and replaced it and ask is how it should be now.

I have a funny feeling that thee rear facing vents on the B pillars operate in conjunction with the front ones
ie.... If you set the front right to 21c they will blow at 21c. I will check if this is the case for you today on mine. T:

Just out of interest if you turn the climatronic off in the front do they still run?
If you turn the fan on in the rear only do they still run?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm not so sure there is a fan in the doors:*
I might be wrong......
I had an issue with my windscreen demist where if you pressed the button you could hear the fan spin up to full power but no air came out :confused:
it took me ages to nail the problem down.
what I found out was the climatronic system relies on servos to open and close flaps (obvious really) and the servo for the windscreen demist had gone faulty (it was intermittent happening about 95% of the time). It was a nightmare to do but I found the relevant servo and replaced it and ask is how it should be now.

I have a funny feeling that thee rear facing vents on the B pillars operate in conjunction with the front ones
ie.... If you set the front right to 21c they will blow at 21c. I will check if this is the case for you today on mine. T:

Just out of interest if you turn the climatronic off in the front do they still run?
If you turn the fan on in the rear only do they still run?
You are indeed wrong. The Caravelles do have fans in the doors.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Well we live and learn. Another thing to look forward to fixing then. Have you tried to source exploded diagrams from tps? Or run a diagnostic to see if it pulls up any relevant fault codes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts