VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I've been looking to buy a T4 for a long while and finally got to a point when I could afford to do it alongside my daily commuter.
I've just bought a T4 Caravelle today and will be adding pics, descriptions and a cost tracker the route to creating a proper camper!
I hope to get a lot from all the excellent information on this forum and I hope to be able to give a lot back!

Cost tracker:
Ongoing Costs

My plan is to create a sealed 'wet room' at the rear of the van containing a thetford toilet and a shower (to get washed pensioner style!). in the middle i'm still working on the design but I hope to include a fold out double bed and kitchen area.

Please feel free to give constructive criticism based on factual data or experience, this is my first conversion so I'm very interested to hear from others' failures/successes.

H:

And some pics after a quick wash:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello there

congrats on your purchase i got an earlier caravelle, LWB twin slider too in the process of converting it to a fully fledged camper. bit trickier than standard because of the extra door, but good luck all the same :)

I stripped all plastics out and headlining because it was minging then at least you can insulate it well, then ply lined and carperted throughout, such a transformation but awesome!

These are great because you do have to plan out the layout and doing so you create something unique and personal

all the best and looking forward to seeing pics

Pete
T:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fantastic to see such an individual, quality conversion of a Caravelle. I've just bought a 99 LWB with several years of hopes & plans yet to apply. Through necessity for a truly multi-purpose vehicle (family bus / work van / holiday camper) I'm going back 60 years to making my own version of the original removable camping box idea. Great to get advice & links from anyone whose done this already.T:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go on then,
I also have a LWB twin slider which is getting made into a camper :jiggy

That second slider is a real thinker, but I have my idea made in my head now just need to sort the rest of the van first :ILU:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'm going back 60 years to making my own version of the original removable camping box idea. Great to get advice & links from anyone whose done this already.T:
give 806stealthcamper a pm,he made one of these,which folded out into a bed for his....peugeot 806:D
he still has it,and picsT:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update after a few purchases and a bit of work...

Back stripped out, old carpet and seats removed and rest of the inside given a good clean.

Started with the foil insulation on the outside panels

I've put on some of the recycled bottle type eco insulation and sealed it with another layer of thermofoil and have also started loosely stuffing the tight areas.

My shower tray has arrived :)

Pre-lined the headlining with some plain cotton from a fabric warehouse (£11) using the MVM adhesive to stick it on and will be going over this again when my patterned fabric arrives from the states:

Bought myself a heatgun and attacked the bumpers... what a difference!

Found a bit of unnerving rust though, think i'll need to get it checked out before putting down my ply floor...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had rust spot in exactly the same spot, welded plate over and plenty of underseal

Sorted!

·
Registered
283 Posts
oh and sorry forgot to ask, what glue did you use to fix that cotton on to headlining?

thanks

Pete

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and sorry forgot to ask, what glue did you use to fix that cotton on to headlining?

thanks

Pete
Is that all that will need doing? is it not welded to any of the suspension brackets? time to get the welder out then! :-D

I used the Megavanmats (MVM) stuff as i didn't wan't it drooping on a hot day... fabric is pretty thirsty though.... went through 2 cans just applying the cotton! I imagine i'll use another 2 cans with my patterned fabric... not the best of ways to spunk £25 on glue!

I'll need to get some more adhesive for the rest of the trim now, although I may chance the glue that Martrim in Sandbach sell (70C rather than 90C) as I'll be driving over there shortly to get my vinyl...

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
i used the martrim glue,no probs nearly a year on...he does a discount if you buy the box of 12 tooT:
more fabric in that warehouse of his than yr mind can take in too!i got my blue 3" foam from them as well,if yr doing yr own bed or seating.has it in 8x4 sheets,cheaper than anyone else i could findA:
vans lookin good bud!,get to a nw meet if you get a chance,plenty of ideas to nosey at:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is that all that will need doing? is it not welded to any of the suspension brackets? time to get the welder out then! :-D

I used the Megavanmats (MVM) stuff as i didn't wan't it drooping on a hot day... fabric is pretty thirsty though.... went through 2 cans just applying the cotton! I imagine i'll use another 2 cans with my patterned fabric... not the best of ways to spunk £25 on glue!

I'll need to get some more adhesive for the rest of the trim now, although I may chance the glue that Martrim in Sandbach sell (70C rather than 90C) as I'll be driving over there shortly to get my vinyl...
The Glue is pukka Tho! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Few bits required for the MOT... horn, Tyre, Tie/Track Rods and Steering rack gaitor...

Old Tie/Track Rod or "Drum Stick"

New Tie/Track Rod or "Drum Stick"

I replaced the Te/Track Rod ends at the same time

Not really had chance to do much lately but cracked on with the flooring today....

Adding a layer of foam insulation (roll mats)

Then some foil bubble wrap

Fitted to the Van

A quick look what it's going to look like with the rubber flooring down

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Filled the channels in with flexible filler and whacked some flashing tape down in the cab before I put the rubber flooring down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rubber matting down and carpeted the arches....

Whacked in some Saab seats and CMC swivel bases...

For anyone interested, this is the height difference between standard and Saab 95 seats on CMC bases.... I didn't notice any difference really as the deepest part of the seat is about the same height as the original.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh, and finally got round to doing the cab roof lining...

Next steps are give the seats a deep clean, clean u the trim and spray it up and run the electric wiring!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's been a while... i just seem to be buying things but not actually doing anything ;)

My Bora was written off in October last year so the van has been changed to my daily driver, but then I came back from 3 weeks in Aus over Chrimbo to a non starter :(
One new starter motor and a fuel filter later and still wasn't starting... Eventually I discovered that diesel wasn't getting through due to a bodge by a previous owner that had failed!

Oh well, all sorted now and she seems to be running ok and I've had chance to do some bits and bobs.

I decided that I wanted my leisure battery under the bonnet and being impatient, i decided to make my own on Sunday morning rather than simply ask Jkay to make one for me ;)

With vwbooks.com as my guide I cracked on:

Fortunately, mine is an earlier van so I didn't really need to move stuff around

I made my tray out of some chequer plate aluminium sheet, angles and rivets, it doesn't need to be really thick gauge if you use the same fixing mechanism as show on vwbooks because the front of the tray doesn't actually carry any weight. Pic of the double tray in place:

Vehicle battery in place with rerouted wiring, a nosey cat too for good measure:

The original earth cable normally goes from the negative terminal down underneath the plastic tray where about an inch of insulation is removed and a metal eye is crimped on and it is bolted to the chassis. The cable then carries on underneath the engine where it is also earthed. With moving the battery position, the cable isn't really long enough to position all of the cables neatly, so i cut the cable at the chassis earthing point and ran a new length of 25mm2 cable to it through some conduit for a nice tidy job.

Both batteries in place, Leisure battery and split charge system still to be wired (in the daylight!):

Everything back together:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts