VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have posted a few times and Ide like to ask a couple of questions again please. is the caravelle any good for sleeping in? what I mean is is it insulated well? im assuming I could get a pod to go in for camping wends? and also have many people on here put an elevating roof in one then converted a caravelle into a full camper?
what it is myself and my wife are saving very hard at the moment for a vw and are looking at every option for eventually a full camper. I was thinking maybe a caravelle to start? any thought s would be greatly received.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

We have just bought (November) a Caravelle 13plate. It is amazing. The family love it (3 children). We will be hitting camping in the next few months and will post an update but I think we view it more as a secure 2nd bedroom when we go camping. I plan on building the sleep pack in the boot using ply and ikea legs and a ikea futon matteress ontop. The insulation is good but will improve with silver screens to stop the heat escaping from the windows. Hopefully (budget dependant!) we plan on getting a driveway awning but will use a large apex canvas tent this summer. If you want a dedicated camper I.e kitchen unit bed etc I would look for a transporter conversion. We will use the caravelle to sleep the children as it is secure and deadlock when we sleep in the tent.

Hope all that helps!

·
Registered
893 Posts
As silkyswitch says, the caravelle is probably the worst starting point for a full camper. You are paying for sophisticated seats which you will remove and a load of plastic trim panels which will make it difficult to install furniture into. Also, they have aircon ducting in the roof which has to be removed and thrown away if you want a pop top.
You pay car tax which is more than commercial.
The only advantage is you get car speed limits. But, once you have converted a Van (or kombi) to a camper, you can get the body type changed to motor caravan and then you get car speeds anyway (probably! See numerous debates on this subject)

However, if you want a people carrier to go camping with then it is a very good option.

If you need to carry people whilst doing a conversion then start with a kombi. You can progressively add extra windows, carpet lining (put electrics in for the camper conversion first), pop top and eventually the furniture.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you they are all valued comments, I have two young children and a dog , oh and the wife. our initial thought was a kombi them as you say gradually convert as an when ££ allow, we actually have a twin axel caravan for main holidays so was thinking a caravelle might be a good option for one nighters etc. but now you mention about disgarding half the stuff in it for a full camper I think your right.
my god I wish ide bought one 12 months ago instead of spending a fortune on the car I have got :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Already some good answers here, but as a Caravelle owner - my feedback on the question.

First, it's fine to sleep in. As you know, the middle seats fold down, the table fills the gap, and the rear seats opens up. All these put together with a memory foam mattress on top - you have a good double bed. It's long enough without the multi-function extra. I'm 6'6", and my son is 6'2" and it's fine for our mountain biking trips. For info, without the multi-function, there's a useful gap between the bed and the front seats. We parted company with ours.

Insulation/heat. I've stripped it down for all the extra wires (big audio install, rear camera etc) - and went to town on liquid dampening, damplifier pro, luxury liner, closed-cell foam and 3M Thinsulate. Roof too. It works well, and we've camped in December/January down to c. -2 degree with a 3 seasons bag.

As an occasional camper it's great. Really. The seating system can move around, face forward, do the "club class" thing, and work as a bed. Versatile stuff - and this is the strength of the Caravelle. We have our fridge/freezer between the driver and passenger seats - keeping the rear full width. We have a ceiling mounted 17" HDMI 1080p LCD which makes our camping nights quite fun - connects to a Dune HD 303D (1.5TB of films, and TV series).

As a basis to convert into a permanent camper in the back - I'm not so sure. As people have already said; you're paying quite a premium on something you're essentially going to rip out and replace.

Good luck with the decision making - hope it all turns out as you want it.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Think I would go for the 140 kombi :) as said cheaper tax and a six speed, speed limit lower but your towing a caravan anyway, place to carry the dog and bikes and convert once you know what requirements you need T:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Already some good answers here, but as a Caravelle owner - my feedback on the question.

First, it's fine to sleep in. As you know, the middle seats fold down, the table fills the gap, and the rear seats opens up. All these put together with a memory foam mattress on top - you have a good double bed. It's long enough without the multi-function extra. I'm 6'6", and my son is 6'2" and it's fine for our mountain biking trips. For info, without the multi-function, there's a useful gap between the bed and the front seats. We parted company with ours.

Insulation/heat. I've stripped it down for all the extra wires (big audio install, rear camera etc) - and went to town on liquid dampening, damplifier pro, luxury liner, closed-cell foam and 3M Thinsulate. Roof too. It works well, and we've camped in December/January down to c. -2 degree with a 3 seasons bag.

As an occasional camper it's great. Really. The seating system can move around, face forward, do the "club class" thing, and work as a bed. Versatile stuff - and this is the strength of the Caravelle. We have our fridge/freezer between the driver and passenger seats - keeping the rear full width. We have a ceiling mounted 17" HDMI 1080p LCD which makes our camping nights quite fun - connects to a Dune HD 303D (1.5TB of films, and TV series).

As a basis to convert into a permanent camper in the back - I'm not so sure. As people have already said; you're paying quite a premium on something you're essentially going to rip out and replace.

Good luck with the decision making - hope it all turns out as you want it.
Completely agree. Have done the same with ours on weekends with the kids. With the centre seats folded down and the table in the middle it supports a full blow up bed on top easy, not needed the multiflex thingy. We chuck an awning on the side with a sleeping compartment for the kids. Works a treat. As others have said though, I reckon a van would be a much better bed for a camper. the double side doors and paying for all the upgrades you would be removing would seem a waste if you have a choice.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I tow a large(ish) 1.5t caravan with my 140 DSG kombi and it works really well.
I had mine converted from new but my conversion allows the use of the std kombi seats so I can tell you they work very well for four adults plus dog.
I know the caravelle seats are more flexible but for me it's usually just me the wife and dog so it's fine.
You do get vents in the b pillars in the kombi so rear seat passengers get some heating & cooling.
When you do your conversion if you go for a seat like the Reimo variotech you can pull it right forward when on the move and still benefit from the b pillar vents and cab heating/cooling.
Final thought, I prefer the look and feel of carpet lining on a camper and it helps prevent condensation, caravelle plastic trim will me more susceptible to condensation. There are some threads on the forum about converting caravelles, do a search for them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Some good info here. I was looking at a Caravelle thinking that it would be easier to convert because it's already glazed and generally higher spec with air-con etc.

I think I'll look for a van now as I want to do a bit by bit full camper conversion on it. The hardest part is finding the right base vehicle for under £10K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts