·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I used there carbon skinning kit.
I did the Mirror covers that Mark has on his van.
Follow the instuctions to the letter, or the resin will be no good.
Going to be doing the dash on mine in the very near future.I:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought the larger kit that company does. I would say that's its worth doing some practice bits first before trying your cards. I had mixed results and it is worth playing with it. One time I didn't put enough catalyst in, it took loads of time to go off.

It is good to try it out and learn new skills, buy a good set of scissors to cut the fibre without fraying the edges. Have fun with it mate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Daz36, they look real good.
I see they also do different colours for the skin kits, will you be choosing one of those ?
In comparison to a paint dip, or getting a pro to doo it, they are VERY cheap are they not ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the larger kit that company does. I would say that's its worth doing some practice bits first before trying your cards. I had mixed results and it is worth playing with it. One time I didn't put enough catalyst in, it took loads of time to go off.

It is good to try it out and learn new skills, buy a good set of scissors to cut the fibre without fraying the edges. Have fun with it mate.
I'm not alowed scissors as I might hurt someone ;)

Thanks for the heads up on that though. T:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now heres a really stupid thought - maybee.

Could the Carbon Fibre be replaced with another material, one that will obvisously soak the resin, but would the same be acheived ?
Now there a thought !

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You get a better result with he skinning kit.
The dipping kit is cheaper, but it depends what finish you want and how quick you want it finished.
I had my stereo and surround dipped and they did a fantastic job, but at the end of the day its not real carbon fibre.
Both of the DIY kits are tricky to use.
I will be buying another skinning kit soon.
The coloured fabrics are ok but you have to remember that you are covering them with resin and they don't stay the same colour.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cor blimey Guv...................

Well as I am waiting for certain products to dry here is a pictorial update :cool:
(I have kept me shiney bonze out of picture, - another post - but You know who you are. Rasp:)

Door cards are (well nearly) totaly dismantled.
First job - and this was very painfull, and took me a while to pluck up courage :blg - a key (wet'dry 400 supplied in kit)
had to be done, In other words rough it up !

But as you can see not possibly roughed or keyed as much as it should have been !

Other side.

Then some masking - Other plans, to be seen later.

Now the undercoat or primer, I have used white :eek: You will see why when the Fibre is stuck.

Will probally post later as just waiting for primer to become tacky (like a bit of tacky).I:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive just sent all my bits off to be done by a Carbon fibre dipper. He's just set himself up and showed me some of his work - see the Golf engine cover below that he has done.

Altogether ive sent my glove box, airbag cover, cd player surround and vents on both sides and also the door cards. Ill get some photos up when they've been completed.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts