VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Tesco doing a good range of cheap CO2 detectors that take batteries- lasts for 5 YEARS!!!

Please bear in mind there are usually 2 types of gas detector- one that does CO2 and one that detects gas such as methane/ ether etc. (although the more expensive ones do both im sure).

Spend £10 now- live to see the sun getting up the next morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
if you are going to get an alarm then get a decent "all in one" that detects Carbon monoxide as well as LPG & Narcotic gas T:

Looking around for one for our van these are the best I've found, not that pricey either (Under £60) : http://www.sola-larm.com/sla863.html

As for smoke alarms try to fit an Optical detector (Better suited to motorhome use) rather than the cheaper Ionisation type detectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
After buying a smoke / co detector please please please do not put a cheapskate battery in it!!! The times I used to sell smoke detectors & then the buyer would buy a 50p battery NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy a duracell or an energizer, surely your life is worth more than 50p!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
What's really needed is all the gas bits to on the outside with doors that blow outwards in a fire, so all of it isn't even in the sleeping compartment. But where would that be fitted? Also, bear in mind that safety pressure release valves are generally designed to work with the canister vertical.
Had a fire training course last week and blew some canisters up. One of those small camping cans is enough to blow the doors off and kill everyone inside if it gets too hot.

-j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
Well a good friend of ours and past forum member has had recently had a serious scare through Carbon Monoxide....using a dying Cobb and CobbStone to heat an awning after cooking tea...it ended up in a 999 call and hospital..all safe and well now Thank God...

I'd reckon theres lots of us Cobb owners who have used them to heat the awning in this way...I now won't be..very Scary Stuff..:eek::eek::eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,464 Posts
These are £50 plus in caravan shops. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Discover-Dual-Sensing-Gas-Alarm-12V-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat-/270859488331?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo=DLSL%2BSIC.NPJS&its=I&itu=UCI%2BUA&otn=10&pmod=270859125234%2B270859125234&po=&ps=63&clkid=4406283809979261157

Mine detected a gas leak from my Smev cooker in a matter of minutes. It's permanently connected to the leisure batteries inside my cupboards & I'm considering another one to put outside the cupboards even though we always turn the valve off on the bottle after use. £16 is an absolute bargain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
To those who are a bit confused, like me: CO2 is not Carbon Monoxide, it's Carbon Dioxide. CO is Carbon Monoxide.

CO/Carbon Monoxide is deadly; it's colourless, odourless, and tasteless. It forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce CO2/Carbon Dioxide; that's why people commit suicide by running a car engine in a garage. You won't even know it's happening. The Nazis used CO as one of their extermination gases, ironically in vans. Those s knew a thing or two about deadly gases.

SO, STAY SAFE PEOPLE!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
To those who are a bit confused, like me: CO2 is not Carbon Monoxide, it's Carbon Dioxide. CO is Carbon Monoxide.

CO/Carbon Monoxide is deadly; it's colourless, odourless, and tasteless. It forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce CO2/Carbon Dioxide; that's why people commit suicide by running a car engine in a garage. You won't even know it's happening. The Nazis used CO as one of their extermination gases, ironically in vans. Those s knew a thing or two about deadly gases.

SO, STAY SAFE PEOPLE!!!
Good point Harbour, for those of us who weren't that attentive in Chemistry classes this entire discussion was a bit confusing :)
 

·
GoDesign.me.uk
Joined
·
470 Posts
Just for the record, I remember our biology teacher explaining how carbon monoxide kills..

Breaks down like this:
  1. we inhale air
  2. the oxygen in the air goes through our lungs into our bloodstream
  3. our blood cells are coated in haemoglobin - kind of like oxygen glue
  4. the oxygen sticks to the haemoglobin and is transported to our cells, muscles, brain, etc.
  5. then the red blood cells return to the lungs and deposit the waste - Carbon DIOXIDE which we breath out - this is only harmful if there is enough of it that there is absolutely ZERO oxygen available for us to breath in (like inhaling from an empty fizzy drinks bottle)
  6. the problem with carbon MONOXIDE is that it strips the haemoglobin oxygen glue from your blood cells
  7. this then renders the red blood cells useless with regards to transporting oxygen around our body
  8. so although you're breathing in air, you're not actually getting any oxygen into your body
  9. cue shortness of breath, dizzyness, headache, loss of consciousness and then death
  10. and because this process begins while you're conscious and breathing, you have no idea why you suddenly feel so terrible...
So yeah, carbon monoxide detectors aren't that expensive and only really show their worth when they suddenly alert that you could be in serious trouble.

n.b. it's easy to see where the confusion arises with CO and CO2 because engines produce both carbon monoxide and dioxide, one is deadly, the other is only deadly in massive concentrations (hence why it's used in fire extinguishers).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
just bought 2 fireangel co-9x carbon monoxide detectors £14.99 each posted.
arrived today brand new boxed 7yr battery life.
ebay seller still has some left.
230807126202 is the item number.
cant scrimp on safety,but these were a really good priceT:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I've just bought a CO detector for my camper after reading horror stories. I've got a full width bed so cook outdoors with a fold out gas hob using a camping gaz 907 bottle(I think). Is it safe to carry these under the bed, obviously not connected to anything, as there is no vent??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Do not buy co detector cards only but battery ones from reputable companies eg kidde and fire angel and check the dispose of date if it doesn't have one then dump it and get one that does have a date co detector cells are extremely sensitive and should really be checked and calibrated every twelve months but for some reason the cell in a £40 piece of kit lasts five years yet the one in a £700 analyser only valid for 12 months
Don't scrimp on safety
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I have said detector, with read out. I was getting upto 50ppm with the Eberspacher on and 150ppm when using the gas hob, this Easter! Needless to say I immediately opened the door. Both are well plumbed in and the Eberspacher sealed, quite worrying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
I have a woodburning stove so I'm a bit more aware of this than most. For me the danger is that the fire goes out and at that point you get a draft back into the cabin bringing a lot of monoxide. It would be better to have an air intake as well as flue.

Still, if I close the door and vent properly I know mine is very well sealed with firewool and gives me more confidence than butane. I have a little camping stove and I sometimes put this outside for these reasons... and then drive off without it! I:

I would like to have an outside box to store gas etc but it's difficult to find somewhere to put it and I'm not a welder.

I have a co2/mo alarm. I've tested it with the button and it's in date but no matter what, it's never gone off. I originally had it low to the ground thinking that I read somewhere that monoxide is heavier than air but later heard that it's the other way round?

An eberspacher mounted outside is surely safe too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Idiot understand how your tester picked up 50ppm the atmosphere normal outside is in the range of 400 ppm which is recorded at each gas job i do
And your eber spacer is room sealed your normal breathing will cause more Co to be produced
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
The point here is dont use anything that consumes oxygen unless it is replaced at the same rate or ideally more The number of commercial properties that arnt complying with this is a large problem .
Just be sensible with gas appliances they arnt there to warm you up guys
 
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Top