VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got a monoxide detector from Homebase, about £15. Battery powered and fixed it to the rear rear trim outta the way. Test it at the start of every trip to be sure batteries OK.

2 Kids so taking no chance on this.T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All

I just wanted to remind you all of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have gas appliances in your van. I am writing about this because a guy I used to surf with was found dead in his van on sunday morning. There is no official cause yet but it may well have been carbon monoxide poisoning. CO detectors are pretty cheap and easily available, I will be fitting one in my van (if I ever manage to find one!)

Once again sorry to have to raise this not very nice issue but who knows, it could save a life eh?

Al
Plumb Centre or any good gas and plumbing suppliers will stock audible C02 detectors

·
Registered
12 Posts
I meant to say I am a Gas Safe registered Plumbing and Heating Engineer, I can't express this enough ''VENTILATION''. And remember LPG is a heavy gas that will fall as low as it can if a leak is present, You might not even smell it until it's to late ''VENTILATION''. C02 WILL KILL YOU ''VENTILATION'' And remember Ventilation !

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's astonishing that people will spend thousands modifying and converting their van and not fit a detecter as well as drop vents to ALL compartments ...

·
Registered
299 Posts
C02 WILL KILL YOU
Not wanting to be pedantic - OK, wanting to be pedantic - CO2 is produced by a gas burning appliance when there is complete combustion, ie it is working correctly. It will only kill you by suffocation. CO will poison you, in quantities smaller than you'd imagine.

It always amazes me how many gas "engineers" get CO and CO2 muddled up... Absolutely correct on ventilation though, that's the main thing.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ther are quite a few of us gas engineers on the forum, i cant say it any simpler, GET AN ALARM. Or turn of the gas , when you connect the gas bottle if your van buy yourself some thing caleed ldf from a plumbers shop, it'll save your life, spray it on the joints if it bubbles tighten things up, if it still leaks and bubbles, get a gas safe engineer lesiure qualified to sort it for you, most of the van converters are not gas qualified

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,001 Posts
Ther are quite a few of us gas engineers on the forum, i cant say it any simpler, GET AN ALARM. Or turn of the gas , when you connect the gas bottle if your van buy yourself some thing caleed ldf from a plumbers shop, it'll save your life, spray it on the joints if it bubbles tighten things up, if it still leaks and bubbles, get a gas safe engineer lesiure qualified to sort it for you, most of the van converters are not gas qualified
Best location for the alarm? Low? High, should be away from Hob?
I have a CO alarm but not sure of the best location in the confined limits of a campervan :*

·
Registered
299 Posts
Generally high up, as CO will rise on thermal currents. Follow the (principles of) the instructions it comes with. The ones I fit in mobile homes specify above the height of doors and windows, but at least 100mm from the ceiling, and 3 linear metres from the appliance. Probably won't all be possible in a van.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
To those who are a bit confused, like me: CO2 is not Carbon Monoxide, it's Carbon Dioxide. CO is Carbon Monoxide.

CO/Carbon Monoxide is deadly; it's colourless, odourless, and tasteless. It forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce CO2/Carbon Dioxide; that's why people commit suicide by running a car engine in a garage. You won't even know it's happening. The Nazis used CO as one of their extermination gases, ironically in vans. Those s knew a thing or two about deadly gases.

SO, STAY SAFE PEOPLE!!!
COLOURLESS
ODOURLESS
TASTELESS

Having been subjected to CO poisoning myself (leaking chimney breast) there are NO warnings other than a detector.
If you Google CO poisoning and ghosts you might be surprised of the findings....

61 - 69 of 69 Posts