VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys. I've taken the head off my 2.4 aab engine and have noticed there are cracks between each valve. Firstly, will this cause a problem If refitted? Assuming the head is still flat(have been searching high and low for a replacement). I have spoken to a company on the net this morning and he has assured me that refitting it won't cause probs as there is no water jacket behind the cracks.
Secondly, won't the cracks cause lower compression? saidthat if vw were to remove the head and see te cracks, they work on a tolerance guide To the size of crack. Does anyone know what these are?
Any help would be appreciated guys so please tell me everything u know on the subject. I'm currently converting the van and to see the cracks was very disheartening. Was hoping to put the money towards the re spray etc and not a new engine. I know it's a common fault with these engines and guess I was slightly naive to think mine would be ok.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Why did you remove the head in the first place??????
Assume it was because of suspect head gaset blown??????
Get the head tested for surface levelness and get it pressure tested.........small cracking is common but they may go deeper then you can see and open up when hot.
Was the gaset obviously blown if thats why the head came off in the first place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspected the head gasket had gone due to blowing smoke and loosing water and pressurised water tank within a few minutes. The head gasket hasn't shown any obvious signs of damage but I'm hoping it was that that had gone and not something major.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Phil, Don't get disheartened, its all part of the bonding process with your van, before you can truly love someone you need to know and understand them , faults and all. Mate the van is just the same.

I had simular problems with my 2.4d pressurising my cooling system.........Dead head gasket, when I pulled the head off I found the cracks you describe.

Raking around this forum and others I found that finding these cracks is the norm, it's unusual not to. VW has a specification for their service people to work to regarding the allowable size of the cracks.

Its nice when you get it back all shiney

I took the head to a local mc shop who does heads rebores etc and requested that the head was pressure tested and iff OK skimmed flat....... cost £75 ......... Then just wacked it back on, replacing the normal cambelt stuff on the way. Also I advise you check or replace the crankshaft and camshaft seal while its all off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
No its not the dodggy cylinder .......... the gasket was leaking between the cylinder and the water jacket on the cylinder next to the cambelt end. The shinny valve is where I started to clean the carbon off and got bored arter the first one. :*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts