VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I bought our Tornado Red T4 800 Special three months ago. It is a 1.9TD and a CMC campervan conversion. Since buying it I have had all the brake discs and pads replaced and other safety-related matters sorted by Sinclairs, our VW Main Dealer in Cardiff and it has been fitted with some pretty formidable security features. A full service will follow shortly and then I will be satisfied that I have done all that I can for now to ensure that everything is in order.
I have been amazed at how easy (and how much fun!) it is to drive, which is just as well because it will be my only car from 2012 onwards. For now I am amusing myself by equipping it with all the bits and pieces needed to go touring next year.
Can anyone tell me what the "800 Special" means?
Having not owned this type of vehicle for many years I am a bit bemused about the wheels. I don't mind the wide alloys, with low profile tyres (235.40.18) but find it odd that I have four of those to run on, yet the spare is a bog standard sort of steel wheel with a conventional (and much narrower) tyre. ALL my previous vehicles have had five identical wheels and tyres. Yet it appears that alloys come in sets of four even secondhand ones, usually. It occurs to me that my wide alloy wheels would not fit on the spare wheel carrier? So, is it normal in the VW camper fraternity to have an odd wheel and tyre for a spare? Can someone put me right about this please.​

·
Registered
23 Posts
its quite the norm these days to have a smaller spare. on a van with big after market alloys like yours there is nowhere to store such a big wheel as the van wasnt designed to do so. if you have a puncture the small spare is to be used but with caution!
drive slower and steady and have it repaired asap. treat as you would a space saver spard in a modern car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
its quite the norm these days to have a smaller spare. on a van with big after market alloys like yours there is nowhere to store such a big wheel as the van wasnt designed to do so. if you have a puncture the small spare is to be used but with caution!
drive slower and steady and have the damaged tyre repaired asap. treat as you would a space saver spare in a modern car.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
more fellas from Cardiff ... HOORRAHHHH!!!! ill keep an eye out for your vans!!!T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
hi Spence bought it online, have a, look around prices vary massively. outdoor revolution navigator combo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts