VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I bought our Tornado Red T4 800 Special three months ago. It is a 1.9TD and a CMC campervan conversion. Since buying it I have had all the brake discs and pads replaced and other safety-related matters sorted by Sinclairs, our VW Main Dealer in Cardiff and it has been fitted with some pretty formidable security features. A full service will follow shortly and then I will be satisfied that I have done all that I can for now to ensure that everything is in order.
I have been amazed at how easy (and how much fun!) it is to drive, which is just as well because it will be my only car from 2013 onwards. For now I am amusing myself by equipping it with all the bits and pieces needed to go touring next year.
Can anyone tell me what the "800 Special" means?
Having not owned this type of vehicle for many years I am a bit bemused about the wheels. I don't mind the wide alloys, with low profile tyres (235.40.18) but find it odd that I have four of those to run on, yet the spare is a bog standard sort of steel wheel with a conventional (and much narrower) tyre. ALL my previous vehicles have had five identical wheels and tyres. Yet it appears that alloys come in sets of four even secondhand ones, usually. It occurs to me that my wide alloy wheels would not fit on the spare wheel carrier? So, is it normal in the VW camper fraternity to have an odd wheel and tyre for a spare? Can someone put me right about this please.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi and welcome to the frat house!

Your 800 Special is oh sooooo special! ;) Basically it means it's rated to carry a load of 800kgs and you'll have a captains chair (one with armrests) for the driver if not for the passenger as well (some don't). There are a few other things that make it a special but I can't recall offhand, someone will be along to put you right I'm sure. T:

I run normal tyres so can't really comment on those but I imagine that's the form as an alloy generally wont fit into the carrier.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Besty for your welcome (I feel part of the Forum now!) and for the 800 Special info. I think I might be just as happy, or happier, with standard wheels and tyres rather than the alloys, pretty though they are. Perhaps I can do a deal with someone who wants rid of their standard steels. When I find out how to include pictures in posts I have plenty of pictures to show what's what.
I must be one of the lucky ones who has two captain's seats at the front - though the offside armrest on the driver's seat is broken and drooping in a rather sad fashion. I don't suppose a repair would be that difficult.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got a set of standard 15" steels with two good tyres and two just legals you can have for £50 if you can get across to Bristol?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Besty. I had come across the VW T4 ARMREST REPAIR KIT but needed confirmation that it was the right thing to buy. Transporters R Us are out of stock at at the time of writing (no doubt temporarily) but I have found an even better deal from auto-beds on Ebay - TWO repair plates for £4 and postage free. Only a few left if anyone else needs them.
Thank you barrybaines for the offer of steel wheels. Wow, things sure do move fast on this forum don't they! However, I really need to find out a lot more about the possibilities before making a decision about wheels so I must decline your kind offer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts