VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to carpet line the sliding door on my T5, in that when shut I can't see any paintwork. But I can't see any obvious points to end the carpet - unless I remove the door and all its fittings and carpet completely to the edges.

Has any body got any pics or advice on how to do this?
:)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Advice? Yep - don't do it.

If you trim up to the door seal, all you'll end up doing is encouraging water to work it's way into the carpet past the seal and within a few months, you'll have smelly, mouldy carpet.....

But, of course, it's up to you.... T:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes I agree, bad idea. You will get wet lining carpet and it will work it's way in. It will also peel of in time, due to the fact it's open to the elements every time you open the door when the weather is bad. But at the end of the day it's up to you, and it can be done.

Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Advice? Yep - don't do it.

If you trim up to the door seal, all you'll end up doing is encouraging water to work it's way into the carpet past the seal and within a few months, you'll have smelly, mouldy carpet.....

I had reached exactly this conclusion myself and decided to leave it in paint.

Chris

·
Registered
292 Posts
Personally, I dissagree.

I carpeted my sliding door- it makes the interior look "complete".

I had the same concerns as all of you about the carpet getting wet, so i was carefull to install it inside the seal edge. When the door is closed just draw a line to mark where the seal edge is, open the door, mask up to the line so the glue doesnt go where you dont want it then carpet it and trim the edge carefully.
Hey presto, when the door is shut you cant see any paint, but the seal still butts up to the painted surface so the carpet doesnt get wet. Mine has been fine over the last 10 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I dissagree.

I carpeted my sliding door- it makes the interior look "complete".

I had the same concerns as all of you about the carpet getting wet, so i was carefull to install it inside the seal edge. When the door is closed just draw a line to mark where the seal edge is, open the door, mask up to the line so the glue doesnt go where you dont want it then carpet it and trim the edge carefully.
Hey presto, when the door is shut you cant see any paint, but the seal still butts up to the painted surface so the carpet doesnt get wet. Mine has been fine over the last 10 months.
Hi Easyrider

Quick question as I am planning on doing the same as you on the sliding door.
When carpet lining the side of the van with the door, do you carpet the door at the same time as the sides of the van using the same piece of carpet, or do you use a separate piece of carpet and line the sliding door as a separate exercise?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts