VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to spend the weekend lining the back of my LWB T4 with some amazing stretchy carpet I got from megavanmats...

Just wondering if anyone's got any pearls of wisdom for me before I start?? Have looked through some of the threads on here, but yeah, any tips for a first timer would be sick.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hey man.

Get lots and lots of blades. Change often. Go from top down. Uumm. Take your time. Use lots of adhesive. And make sure its high temp. Use silver tape to cover cracks where dirt can come up and ruin the carpet.

most of all have fun I know I did! Once you get used to it. Theres nothing you wont be able to carpet :ILU:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, thanks! Any rough ideas on how many hours it would/should take to do a lwb?
I wasn't sure on how to handle the doors, in fact that whole area really... locks, leads, rear light panels, door seals etc. Think I'll leave that end until last... :-/

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well I wasnt in a rush when I did mine. But im sure with a bit of help you could do it over the weekend.

Im yet to do the sliding door and tailgate. Did the cab floor and both sides so far.

Regarding the seals I found as long as you dont hinder the rubber in anyway its fine to go under the seal.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Decent pair of scissors,I erm borrowed a pair of my mrs' dressmaking scissors and made life a lot easier.
As said the carpet eats blades and a decent pair of scissors make the job a lot easier,
Don't worry about how long it takes,you won't be lying in the back of the van one night thinking wow that bit looks carp,but it only took me an hour.You'll be,wish I took a bit longer to do that bit,do the big easier bits first and then take your time with the fiddly bits,it'll be worth it in the endI::confusedT:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One question I did have, the roof panels... I've just got the originals up with the grey plastic fixing screws. Can you get away with lining those panels and fixing them to the roof again with those same plastic screws? What about the grey plastic dividers? Will they fit back easily enough? can you carpet them?

Kevr124 - those builds look sick mate, good work!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi mate,I can't tell you whether or not the original panels will hold being re-covered as I cut new ones out of 3mm
Ply. I had to buy some "Christmas tree" fixings off eBay and adapt them to refit the strips. Have a look in my build thread. Someone else should be able to answer your question too about reusing the original panels T:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Kev's already commented - he has an excellent build threat, so definitely check that out.

I've also put up quite an extensive how-to regarding the carpeting (just see my build thread in my signature). Also a link to the places I found the best prices for everything.

Good luck and enjoy it! :T

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks so much, that's all gold dust... the build threads are so helpful.
Main concern is these roof panels now really...

A cheeky search returned this thread: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=388365

With the MVM screws, by "behind the material of the roof board" do they mean the screw head is under the carpet? or..?
http://www.megavanmats.com/apps/webstore/products/show/957862
I've used those exact same ones (here). I found them easy to use, and they look good hidden under the carpet/duvet sheet (whatever material you use for the headlining).
They can also be used for the strips that run between the roof lining.
Finally, they also make it easy to take the roof lining off if you ever wanted to replace the lights, or put wiring up there etc. T:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know it's already been said but DEFO get a decent pair of scissors......in fact get two pairs, one big and one small (for the fiddly bits), makes life soooooooo much easier. T:

One thing I found out was don't spray too much glue in one place - it seeps through the carpet and looks sh!te :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Decent pair of scissors,I erm borrowed a pair of my mrs' dressmaking scissors and made life a lot easier.
As said the carpet eats blades and a decent pair of scissors make the job a lot easier,
Don't worry about how long it takes,you won't be lying in the back of the van one night thinking wow that bit looks carp,but it only took me an hour.You'll be,wish I took a bit longer to do that bit,do the big easier bits first and then take your time with the fiddly bits,it'll be worth it in the endI::confusedT:
Just read this out to my wife. The look I got when you mention using your wife's dress making scissors to cut through carpet!. She replied by saying " did he live to tell the tale" lol. I don't think I will risk using my wife's dress making scissors when I get round to carpeting my van!. ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts