VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just starting out on my first T4 conversion adventure!!

Does anyone know how many metres of carpet I will need to carpet line my ply panels?

I have a standard short wheel based panel van with rear windows fitted both sides. Just an estimate would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
T:10 metres ,we ll be selling enough carpet and alacantra for the roof plus 12 cans of glue at dubfreeze for £149T:

·
Registered
36 Posts
It depends really, I bought a full set on ebay pre-cut (roughly) which did the job but I had to make sure every bit counted. Also are you doing the roof and floor? I did both and it looks great. We decided to carpet floor rather than use lino type of finish which would be more durable but carpet looks much nicer in my opinion.

The roof I did from one large 8x4 sheet of ply (Wicks) using original two roof panels as a template to cut down (remember to make allowance for joining strip if you do this). The panel was a sod to fix up because of the one piece (weight) but I found some cavity wall fixings that were strong enough to fix it and ensure it pulled tightly up to roof. I also got some extra long VW plastic clips like the grey ones that you take out that are much better for holding ply panels plus thickness of carpet, I used black ones because we used the charcoal coloured carpet and again they look the business (much better than self tapppers).

Also remember to put all roof lights and wires in before you begin as this will save a bit of heart acheT: I fitted flush LED 12V decking lights (Wicks are cheapest) in above kitchen, sliding door and bed for mood lightingI: and they really look good.

One last thing, I had plenty of spray adhesive supplied with carpet but two people recommended that I use heat resistant contact adhesive on metal and ply surfaces and spray on the carpet to prevent it peeling off in hot weather and damp when cooking etc. I thought this was OTT but they were right, it will NOT fall off. I used almost 5 Litres! of adhesive on all surfaces plus I think about 6 cans of spray (let it go tacky before positioning). I thought adhesive was a bit pricey at about £50 but its money well spent as you only do this once hopefullyT:. Oh and don't forget to tape over all exiting holes in metal work with gaffer tape to stop dirt working its way through and spoiling the look of the carpet because it will! I saw one at Vanfest show/shine that was spoiled in this way.

Hope this help, let me know if you want any details of products etc. This was first time I attempted this and is the most satisfying stage, take your time and good luck.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for all the advice. That's really helped. Sticky I will be in touch if I need any more info. Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
its an alacantra copy looks stunning on roof panels,door cards theres lots of colour s just gets away from that horrible carpet on the roof feel if you want some samples p m me i m away from today till monday or see me at dubfreezeT:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts