VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am going to carpet my interior next weekend, wondered if anyone near me fancied showing me how its done, ill be using the megavanmats carpet, but i'm bricking it in case i fcuk it up.

My vans ply lined with two side windows, do i ply the sides first seperately, and do the metal bits seperately or what is the easiest way, im doing the roof as well.......oh.....s***

could do with a pair of hands or advice as to how to go about it please

Alan
SB:db

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi mate, If you can wrap vinyl...................you can wrap carpet. I just went for it after reading MVM's guide. I did a door card first then the rear section round the rear door opening ( top and two sides all in one piece ) . Get the hair dryer ready, some nice sharp scissors, plenty of width and cut up some bin liners to roll up the tails in and just go for it. I did it on my own but a helper would have been handy. It's very satisfying when it works out right.

Can you tell me how to wrap my T5 bonnet ???

Cheers,

Jimmy

Happy New Year when it comes.................................

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
do your metal work first then your boards and screw the boards on thats what i did. but if you want to be fancy do each side in one piece and screw your boards on first, just make sure you have all your wires, wired through first T:

its dead easy, once you get the hang of it you'll be carpeting everything in sight LOL:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys, and yes Jimmy i cant tell yo uhow to wrap a T5 bonnet but if you ever come down this end of the woods i can do it for you in about 30 minutes.

No question i was asking myself was whetehr to do it metal first then wood, but what about screw fixings etc, i think doing it all at one go with the wood in place would look better, i just wondered what everyone did en mass so to speak. any way its ordered now for next week, so we will wait and see
Alan
SB

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
thanks for the replys, and yes Jimmy i cant tell yo uhow to wrap a T5 bonnet but if you ever come down this end of the woods i can do it for you in about 30 minutes.

No question i was asking myself was whetehr to do it metal first then wood, but what about screw fixings etc, i think doing it all at one go with the wood in place would look better, i just wondered what everyone did en mass so to speak. any way its ordered now for next week, so we will wait and see
Alan
SB
I used these but in black T:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/164433

or

marker pen them black :ILU:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Colese for that, that was the info i needed, SO take all teh panels out the van cover them then with whats left cover the arches and exposed metalwork then fit panels back in...

Sounds Easy......LOL

I'll put up pictures when i'm done

Alan

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
if you put your ply on the carpet,cut round to shape with a 2" overlap.
lay carpet on floor,sprayglue,then same with ply,place the ply on carpet,that way material stays nice n flat.
fold the overlap over back of ply,turn over and roll out with a cardboard tube(i used the ones from my thermowrap insulationT:
metal work,cut strips to suit whatever area youre doing,spayglue both,i used a small wallpaper roller,about 2" wide?to roll out material,its quite stretchy and forgivingT:,and im cr4p at wall papering:D
i used self tapping screws,the ones with a drillbit tip on them,you dont need loads of them eitherT: then touched up the heads with a matching colour paint.roof panels,same principal,but you will need longer headlining clips,the original will be too short with the carpet.autobeds(mark)on here sells them in light/dark grey or black,with a phillips head tooT:
the plastic strip between the headlining,those clips will break!i replaced with new headlining clips also.
dont do the door edges,they need to be left metal to make a good seal with rubbers.
im no expert,but thats how i did mine,18months later,its not fell off?:D

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
i needed longer ones,others have been the same?
where did u order them from?
if its autobeds they are a bit longerT:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hah i got them off ebay, £5 for 25 out of a T5, although Mark at MVM said he is giving me the acoustic material for the roof which i think maybe a bit thinner

Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts