VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

hopefully you can help, I have a LWB T5 with twin doors, I want to convert the van and wondered what quantities others have purchased to do the job. I'm using the van to transport windsurfing kit around, so the back will be getting wet which concerns me in terms of insulation and what to get.

so looking to find out quantities i'd need for;
- Sound deadening behind panels/flooring throughout the back on sides, sliding doors, roof and throughout the cab and front doors
- Flexi carpeting throughout the back around the arches and frame etc
- Insulation (and what type/where to get it from)
- carpeting to cover the ply lining.
- Glue to stick it all down.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Measure front to back inside. I did sides and roof, so times by 3.

Forget off cuts from Windows, that will not even do the tailgate. You will do the sides and roof from one piece each then trim the door panels and windows out.
The carpet (12M?) will come with enough glue from most vendors.

I used 3 X 40 sheet bulk packs of Silentcoat to do the shell in a LWB, floor, roof, sides, doors, cab roof and floor plus tailgate. Only got the front doors to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your help, i'll check out the thread!

Did you find that the Silentcoat sound deadening make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks so much for your help, i'll check out the thread!

Did you find that the Silentcoat sound deadening make a noticeable difference?
I did yes. The stereo sounds much better without having to compete with as much road noise.

The biggest benefit for me is the reduced rain noise in the roof when camping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys

Apologies for jumping in your thread but I am starting my first van carpet adventure as well. Can you tell me what you do with the holes in the van body, not the ones for the panels but the other assorted hexagonal holes etc around the frame. Do you cover them with tape before carpeting? I have looked at several threads but no mention of these.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi Guys

Apologies for jumping in your thread but I am starting my first van carpet adventure as well. Can you tell me what you do with the holes in the van body, not the ones for the panels but the other assorted hexagonal holes etc around the frame. Do you cover them with tape before carpeting? I have looked at several threads but no mention of these.

Thanks
I didn't bother with the smaller ones.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi Guys

Thanks
Advice is to cover the holes, especially if using light carpet lining, if left uncovered you run the risk of the carpet acting as a type of dust filter between the cavity and confines of the van and can soon become dirty around the holes. This thread my help http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=437202

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mini hijacking :)

Does anyone know of a lining company that actually ship both carpet and glue outside UK? Having lining sent isn't an issue but glue seems to be difficult.... in Sweden they will charge me about 25£ a can and I find that a bit to much.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Advice is to cover the holes, especially if using light carpet lining, if left uncovered you run the risk of the carpet acting as a type of dust filter between the cavity and confines of the van and can soon become dirty around the holes. This thread my help http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=437202
Wouldn't you then also be blocking any chance of ventilation in the cavity?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wouldn't you then also be blocking any chance of ventilation in the cavity?

Yes you are correct unless you introduce alternative venting were it's not going to be seen (cutting rear panel a bit shorter at the bottom by the wheel arch or making own hole in the panel and use vent cover\speaker cover). The vent holes in the original vw panels are there to stop the airlock syndrome, when closing doors the air pressure in the van is forced through these holes and out through the bumper wheel arch vents (see forum member triffic pic below), a number of people complain they have problems closing the side door\tail gate after ply line/insulate/conversation due to no air pressure escape. So my advice is block off the holes that are on view before carpet lining and introduce venting where it's not going to be seen so easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts