VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had a full camper conversion done and I'm trying to work out the best way to continue to transport my bikes inside the van. Has anyone come up with a good solution? Any suggestions appreciated ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
What sort of bike, what sort of conversion. I often just stand the bike up in the back with the bars perched on the seat backs and the back tyre wedged against the rear seats. Otherwise I keep an old sleeping bag in the back of the van and lay the bike down flat with the front wheel off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both Road bikes and MTBs. I have a full run of cupboards and a rock and roll bed installed. I've had a play around with the 29er and it goes in diagonally with the front wheel removed, but doesn't leave much room for another bike. Do you carry multiple bikes at the same time?

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
I can do but I've got a sliding seat so if there's more than 1 inside the van then the seat comes forward and the bikes go in the boot with 1 wheel off. If they had to go in the middle then I think I'd end up with a bike box or bag (I do have a bag if you're stuck, I live just around the corner from you) and I think I'll be buying a bike box to take the boys road bike on holiday at half term...

I did also have a little Thule bar to bolt to the floor into which the front forks slot but I never used it.

If I'm down at the Bowl (MK) this weekend I'll have a quick look in the other team members T5s (and Vitos) and see what they use. I know one bloke has a full width shelf across the back and puts the bikes in sideways with 1 wheel off.

Usually though I put all my bikes on the rack on the back. By far the best way as they get filthy - last Friday at Cannock was a bit of an exception as it was bone dry...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can do but I've got a sliding seat so if there's more than 1 inside the van then the seat comes forward and the bikes go in the boot with 1 wheel off. If they had to go in the middle then I think I'd end up with a bike box or bag (I do have a bag if you're stuck, I live just around the corner from you) and I think I'll be buying a bike box to take the boys road bike on holiday at half term...

I did also have a little Thule bar to bolt to the floor into which the front forks slot but I never used it.

If I'm down at the Bowl (MK) this weekend I'll have a quick look in the other team members T5s (and Vitos) and see what they use. I know one bloke has a full width shelf across the back and puts the bikes in sideways with 1 wheel off.

Usually though I put all my bikes on the rack on the back. By far the best way as they get filthy - last Friday at Cannock was a bit of an exception as it was bone dry...
Thanks for the offer of the bike bag Bobley T: I have been looking at the Thule bar and other similar options, but after measuring up I don't think any of them are going to fit. I thinking at the moment about taking the front wheel out and then trying to make something up that goes on the rock and roll bed to protect it and then using a stand to clamp the back wheel in place.

What day and time are you at the Bowl this weekend as I need to go to MK? What are the new sections like at Cannock?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 4 bike version that I used to use in the van so I may see if I can adapt that in some way. Thanks Sailing4000 T:
No Probs.. FYI the tubing can easily be cut using a junior hack saw, to cut to any variation or length, i cut out the two middle wheel supports to make way for sleeping stuff T:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Easy: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2753688&postcount=85

That's a size XL 29er hence a fairly long bike - but I've got another couple of 29ers which both have even longer wheelbases and both fit in fine, they just poke thru between the seats a teeny bit. LWB T5, RIB with longer-than-normal rearmost section (15cm longer than standard). Not sure how/if it could be done with a SWB...

Apologies for delay - didn't have any up-close pics so took some more. It's just bits of wood (think I used ply this time): flat top on an angled base. Bt of trial and error getting the angle 'right' to best suit our bikes as different head angles on the bikes affects if they sit fully upright in the rack or not! Screwed to the van floor and covered in carpet.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
I'll be at the bowl from 2pm until 4pm. It's best to catch me before or after training as I may get roped in to coaching. The new Lower Cliff section is brilliant, even I (xc boy) got lots of air. There are lots of other tweaks too which are all good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easy: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2753688&postcount=85

That's a size XL 29er hence a fairly long bike - but I've got another couple of 29ers which both have even longer wheelbases and both fit in fine, they just poke thru between the seats a teeny bit. LWB T5, RIB with longer-than-normal rearmost section (15cm longer than standard). Not sure how/if it could be done with a SWB...
I like the look of that setup Ally. Mine is swb and I can get my 29er (small) in if I put the back wheel in the gap behind the drivers seat an have the bike diagonally. The back wheel of my road bike fits in the gap between the front seats so a setup like this may be possible or something similar T:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took my mountain bike and my girlfriends all round Europe this summer, We had a fiamma bike rack on the back of the barn doors which was used for most of the time but they stood above the back quite far and so i had to remove them for the ferry each way.

I found putting the back wheels between the front seats worked perfectly, this meant the bikes fitted in the back, We also have a full conversion with R&R bed.. i took some old t-shirts to put over the gears at the back and the bikes so they didn't rattle or get grease anywhere on the front seats. i then found simple bungee cords tied against a rail where our sink and cooker is worked a treat.
there is a rail there for our table which can slide along, i don't know if you know what i mean haha.

but anyway putting the bikes in back end first and putting them between the front seats meant they both went in fine without having to remove the front wheels..

i don't have any pictures i'm afraid, but our camper is a SWB with full conversion (cupboards running the length of the van with oven. fridge, sink and hob etc) and this worked just fine ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts