VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Seeing a van for sale it says it was a Cat C, it says has been repaired. This was a while ago, a previous owner to the vendor.

A front corner, involving wimg/bumper etc.

What is involved in getting insurance for this?

The vendor obviously has some.

It is a Caravelle which has been lightly converted in to a day van, but not a fully blown motorhome.

I have no idea at the moment if this was prior to the conversion but these are quite valuable and must have been quite some damage to become at Cat C.

Does this marker stay with the van and it become either impossible or very expensive to insure even if the repair is spot on?

Please enlighten me.

I think recently the Cat C has been re categorised as class N?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
And yes, it stays on the record, thats the point, its a structurally damaged and repaired vehicle, its considered lesser and less valuable than an otherwise never damaged vehicle, so dont go paying silly money for it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There should be no problem insuring it.

But if you write it off the insurance company will give you less than an equielant Non Cat C motor.

Could be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmmm.....Hard to know what a lesser value is if being a Cat C devalues it.

Assume this lesser value stays with the van all its life on....

It says, front corner, wing, bumper and headlight.

Very expensive parts or more under the skin damage to write it off. Just be talking 000's

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Here in N. Ireland, part of UK, a couple of months ago a Cat B Camper van came up for sale at a local auction house.

It was a 4 Berth Peugeot coachbuilt, about ten years old.

It was clearly marked Cat B and the purchaser was advised it was not to be put on the road.

I was told that the purchaser has used the van since for several trips away.

No problem with MoT and Tax.

As for insurance I was told that third party insurance was arranged which, of course, didn't cover any dings to your own vehicle.

Bottom line Cat B back on the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears to be one of these bug bears of life that there is no answer for, just rtying to research, nothing worse than commiting and getting a shock!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a nose on We Buy Any Car (otherwise known as we give you nothing)

Similar Caravelle come out around £2100 value.

This one in question with the Cat C is worth £50!!!!!

So go buy it for 8K, drive home have an accident and loose £7950, bargin :*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts