VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Been on the look out for a T5/T6 Kombi and have found a vehicle that on paper ticks all the boxes. Not test seen it yet but as its a fair trip to see it i'm trying to check everything i can first.

Vehicle is a Factory Kombi T5 140 Highline SWB. 13 plate and done 90'000 on the clock. Priced at £13K

Vehicle is Cat S. Seller brought the van as a Cat S (Rear damage) and had all the work carried out professionally and with all new parts (including brand new tailgate). Says he has all the receipts for the work and MOT is valid until Aug 2020.
  1. Assuming all the paper work checks out what are the pitfalls of buying a Cat S van? Is it harder to insure if you have all the correct paper work? Does it effect the re-sale value further down the line?
  2. Seller sounds genuine and explained from the start that the V5C is still in the original owners name. :unsure: Would this make you think twice about buying it??
    • Nutshell: His mates van that had the damage, he brought it off him and had all the repair work filled in. His personal circumstances changed and now is looking to sell the van so never sent off the V5C to move it in his name as he decided to sell it
In theory i get why he never bothered to update the V5C but it just seems a bit scary to be buying a van off someone who technically does not own it on paper!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Edd

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,168 Posts
It's always going to be worth less which is presumably why it attracted you.
It will be harder to sell on.
I'd assume insurance companies will be picky about insuring it, you'd best ask a few.
Presumably it was 'repaired' before the current MOT which was last August, why has it been standing for the last 7 months in someone elses name although the V5C is not proof of ownership anyway.
I'd think long & hard before buying it unless you're going to keep it for ever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just bought a 2011 passat on the old cat c - absolute bargain as people are scared. To put a cat c back on the road it has to undergo extensive tests - i.e. more than the zero tests an individual new car has to undergone before use...

Who cares if it is worth less when you sell it on - it cost less to buy, so it's all relative.!

That said, ~£13k doesn't sound particularly cheap. Maybe make a cheeky offer or wait a bit until they need to shift it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'd probably walk away... there are loads of vans out there to choose from.
It'll cost more for you to insure it (maybe get a few quotes up front to find out for yourself).
I'd also be concerned about the V5 situation too. It literally take a couple of weeks and a stamp to sort the V5, why wouldn't you do it, especially if he's gone to the effort and expense of repairing the van. Technically he'd need to have the registered keeper sign the V5 in order to transfer ownership to you.

My mate bought his van just before xmas for £15k - a '62 plate, lowered on 20's, remapped to 170, fully retrimmed interior with matching leather front n rear seats, carpet-lined, altro floor, front & rear spoiler, DRL's, side bars, tow bar, aircon, multimedia headunit and just a shade over 100,000 on the clocks. Bought from a reputable T5/T6 company.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's always going to be worth less which is presumably why it attracted you.
It will be harder to sell on.
I'd assume insurance companies will be picky about insuring it, you'd best ask a few.
Presumably it was 'repaired' before the current MOT which was last August, why has it been standing for the last 7 months in someone elses name although the V5C is not proof of ownership anyway.
I'd think long & hard before buying it unless you're going to keep it for ever.
Hey Rodger, Forgot to state current MOT was before the accident as he has only had it back for a few weeks and then decided to sell. I'd need all the paper work to check out but i can already hear my dad saying "dont buy a car if the seller is not on the V5C!"

Hey Plateletboy - Oh i would certainly be making a cheeky offer if i went with it. I have seen other vans for sale similar over the past 6 months for the same money that are not Cat S.

Thanks for your input folks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mate bought his van just before xmas for £15k - a '62 plate, lowered on 20's, remapped to 170, fully retrimmed interior with matching leather front n rear seats, carpet-lined, altro floor, front & rear spoiler, DRL's, side bars, tow bar, aircon, multimedia headunit and just a shade over 100,000 on the clocks. Bought from a reputable T5/T6 company.
(y)

I thought exactly the same on the V5 doc. I think i look everyday for vans coming up for sale so hopefully can drop on something good!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts