VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have recently had an MOT done on my 61 plate transporter which she passed with flying colours. This morning I started her and I have a yellow warning light come up, which when I checked with the manual said that there was a problem with the catalytic converter and to take it directly to the dealership. The transporter is 3 years old and has only done 22,000 surely a cat should last longer than that? Any advice please?
Cheers

·
Special Rapporteur
10,306 Posts
A '61 plate diesel won't have a catalytic converter as such - it will have a DPF. If you do a forum search (externally via Google, as the internal search engine is rubbish) for this you will find out more.

Does the van typically do short journeys? If so it may need nothing more than a long motorway run, though if the soot load is too high it may need attention at a garage first, as the DPF regeneration may be prevented in those circumstances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Traffic,
Many thanks for your reply. We usually travel about 8 mile to work and the same home, but can clock up a few miles over the weekend. I purchased it 6 weeks ago and before that it was a disability leased vehicle. Could the problem have started before I purchased the vehicle, I've probably put 2000 miles on in the past 6 weeks.
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The yellow light means that the DPF has reached 45% full (of soot) and needs to be cleared out.
The regeneration process should be automatic; however a good hard run in 4th should be sufficient to do the job.

Failure to clear it out (or the vans failure to do it for you) can result in v large bills; don't ignore it :ILU:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just spent the last hour driving Sat at 2000 rpm and still no joy, I guess the next stop is the mechanic :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts