VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,ive been off the air for about twenty years,so i bought a second or third hand Midland 98.
Ive connected it up,and im suprised how things have changed for the worse.
My problem is when i transmit the midland 98 the power only does up to 3watt,is this normal as i thought that when you press the mike the scale goes all the way

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
hi, have you cheked the swr as that will afect the power output, what antena you got and how are you testing the output as the scale on the front is not a true test

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havnt done an swr test,but the power is the same without the ariel.The scale im using is the cb itself.
as for the antenna its a magmount 145 something

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
dont transmit without antenna you will fry the output transistors, and then it wont work at all
you do need to check the swr on nearly all cb antennas,

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
hi one of the things about magmounts is the coax gets traped in the door rubber, over time the coax can split inside and then not realy be conected to the antenna, or the two wires conect together so they short out, now the first you will know is that you wont be able to hear much only local stuff if your lucky the best thing is to use a swr meter and see if the swr changes

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
sorry forgot to say, to change the swr there is a little grub screw thst you slacken off then move the whip bit up or down,
the cb output is sposed to be 4watts but the meter on the front might not show the true output. was the cb off the same carboot, has anyone you know got a swr meter you could loan if you aint got one,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts