VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 800 Special 1.9 TD - Standard

I'm moving to the Lake District soon and will be playin about in the hills alot which will involve lots of driving about up and down big hills. My folks live in Bristol and I'll be driving from the Lakes to Bristol alot on the motorway.

I'm wondering which I should spend my money, cruise control to save pennies driving along the motorway or tune my engine and spend money on an intercooler and boost gauges to save diseal gettin up the hills in the lakes.

Any views or advice will be great!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
go for pp ive done it to mine i use mine to go from poole to cornwall and it really helps on the motorway and the hills in cornwall are much easyer to deal with i dont find myself going up and down through the gears as much which you will still be doing if you put cc on and your cc will be turning off every time you hit a hill T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Depends if you are handy and you can drop on to the parts cheaply. The early style AAZ injector pumps are hard to find, i was lucky with mine as it didnt sell on Ebay so i made an offer that was accepted. Basically the AAZ gives more fuel on boost and runs less boost when just cruising so its better for the turbo too. I gained an extra 30 miles to £25 of fuel with changing it, and its completely different animal to drive now.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say its better for the turbo and engine, does that means its necessary? Can you just put an intercooler and boost gauge on it?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
You say its better for the turbo and engine, does that means its necessary? Can you just put an intercooler and boost gauge on it?
Its not necessary no, but improves things considerably in terms of longevity and performance plus it takes the guess work out of fuelling correctly once you have increased the boost. The AAZ pump is boost sensing and applies the fuel on boost, the ABL pump doesn't do that. if you have too much fuel for the boost you get lots of black smoke and it wont work properly, if you get no smoke there is not enough fuel for the boost both of which can damage the engine over a period of time. My idle is normal too T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts