VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all. Just a quick one, has anyone used polystyrene for the insulation ? 25mm on top and 50mm on the bottom ? Is Celotex or kingspan etc. really that much beter ? Just that I have some polystyrene left over from a job I've just finished. I'll be using flashing tape and foil bubble stuff aswell anyway, then carpetting my ply lining.

Just a thought, do I REALLY need to buy more expensive stuff or will what I have be near enough as good ?

Ta T:

Mike

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
when i used to screed floors, we used celotex or kingspan, guess i'd have to say that'd be better.

Probably be better at sound insulating too.

Anyone heard of efa foam?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Cant really see the point of putting different thicknesses as it will only ever be as warm as the lowest thickness i used the eco friendly sheeps wool in mine and its as warm as toast and the doors shut like a bentley miles better than either of them in application and performance same price as celotex thereabouts and a lot easier to work with no itching!T:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
celotex isn't itchy, and i reckon your right about the wool being warm but a lot of people worry about wool type isulation soaking up condensationT:

·
Registered
392 Posts
celotex isn't itchy, and i reckon your right about the wool being warm but a lot of people worry about wool type isulation soaking up condensationT:
Mate try insulating a roof space with celotex if you dont itch i,l personally do your van for free in sheepwool! Celotex has fibreglass in it i promise.T:

The wool is treated it aint got a problem with condensation plus it works in the side and rear doors lovley as it doesnt foul up all the locks only downside is it stinks off sheep sh1te for a couple of daysLOL:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I used to use the stuff day in day out, also used different fibreglass matting/insulation and i never found celotex to be itchy, was sawing it up all day.

So when you coming to do my van Rasp:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fair play to ya u must have skin like leather and be a doubly hard b*****dA:, but celotex drives me nuts when do ya want your van filling with sheep sh1teLOL:LOL:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
polystyrene melts lovely if (god forbid) you ever have a fire...wouldnt want that **** drippin on me head
Personally, I'd be tempted to get the f**k out of the van before that became an issue...........

I used cheapo polystyrene with foil back bubble wrap as the extra layer - perfectly acceptable, especially given that VERY few of us are using these vans as 365 days a year living accomodation!!

I'd defy anyone to really notice the difference!! ;)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
polystyrene melts lovely if (god forbid) you ever have a fire...wouldnt want that **** drippin on me head
and that also means having to remove it to weld etc. I used it and had to take it out. I used kingspan, got it from seconds and co very cheap too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I'd be tempted to get the f**k out of the van before that became an issue...........

I used cheapo polystyrene with foil back bubble wrap as the extra layer - perfectly acceptable, especially given that VERY few of us are using these vans as 365 days a year living accomodation!!

I'd defy anyone to really notice the difference!! ;)
Agreed - if it was on fire, the last thing I's be worrying about was if my insulation was flammable ! The thing's lines in wood for pete's sake - it'll burn anyway ! haha :eek:

Do you have any issues with squeaking then So-Kal ?

That was my thought - in all honesty would anyone actually be able to tell the difference ? Like you say, it's never gonna be as warm as a house, and I'm not gonna be living in it ! LOL:

Cheers for all the inputs guys T:

Mike

·
Registered
659 Posts
The poptop on my type 2 was insulated with polystyrene, It eventually soaked up so much water from condensation that the headlining went mouldy and the roof was so heavy that the spring struts couldnt hold it up and it would just collapse back down again,
I took it out and replaced with celotex and sealed the edges with tape, its been fine for over 5 years now- my mate still owns it,
I was amazed how much weight the stuff could gain and how much water had soaked in, also the squeaks stopped once it was removed so I could finally hear the creeking and rattles againT:

·
Registered
402 Posts
in a situation like that every second can mean the difference between life and death.....the point I was trying to make is that you may not have the luxury of a choice of leaving the van before it became an issue ;)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
From the perspective of a Fire Engineer (for that is what I are), I'd avoid the polystyrene like the plague, it has a much lower melting point than a sandwich panel (celotex, kingspan etc) and is much easier to ignite! Plus the sandwich panel is more dense so will have better sound absorption properties.

Remeber kids, don't play with fire, it'll pop you football........

·
Registered
288 Posts
I work for kingspan, and their stuff is fire retardant.
I once used Styrene in a t25 roof and it worked well but i hindsight i wouldn't use it again.

if you burn styrene if give off a black toxic smoke
and kingspan foam doesn't burn.

Try it for yourselves, take a samlpe of each and put a lighter to them, in a controlled environment of course, and you will see the effects and how very different they are.

Don't go near styrene i would definately advise. T:

Incidently i used Eco-wool as a first layer and celotex (just because there was no kingspan when i got it) for a second layer. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts