VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anybody replaced the steering wheel with another VW based wheel - e.g VW golf, polo etc? I've got a 95 (n reg) t4 and the old rubber steering wheel has seen better days. Obviously mine hasn't an airbag so am i right in thinking i couldn't use a newer wheel with an airbag (MOT failure??) Thanks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
newer t4 steering wheels will fit but just need little spacer otherwise catches on the steering colleum cowling so just need 2mm washer to space it of a little

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
newer t4 steering wheels will fit but just need little spacer otherwise catches on the steering colleum cowling so just need 2mm washer to space it of a little
Cheers Paul and sorry for repeating a thread (new to forum and owning a T4) - would an airbag wheel fail an MOT as it wouldn't be wired in :(?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
newer t4,s didnt have airbags anyway best going for a 119-2000steering wheel.

cant comment about weather its a m.o.t failure though but presuming there ant a air bag light there is no way they can test it and to be honest i doubt many do anyway .

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sorry for the duff info I thought you meant car steering wheels.

There are newer shaped T4 steering wheels out there without the airbag, mine has no bag. I was asking the same questions a year ago and ended up going for a Momo leather wheel and used a boss from T4sRUS to fit it to my 2002 plate T4.

Ian. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Paul, took your advice and just received a newer T4 wheel (97), smaller diameter, a bit more modern looking, a bit thicker as well but keeps that important factory look - shame the rubber has come loose at the top though!!! Anyhow..just need a 2mm washer as you said as I think the squeeking of the wheel on the column cowling would drive me mad!!!A:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you put the spacer (2mm washer). As where the steering wheel sits is tapered?? Or can you put a washer below the taper??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts