VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow members, last year i had issues with a cobra alarm fitted by the dealer back in the day, the poxy thing kept my starter engaged which burned- it was a brand new Bosch unit ! Anyway, while troubleshooting an auto electrician replaced the ignition switch- one needs to remove the steering column/contact switch. Since then i had strange electrical issues: indicator lights would not work when locking the car up, then the expensive hazard switch (i have a westfalia factory towbar with genuine VW wiring kit and hazard switch that turns indicator lights on dash when towing) burned, then lights would not work inside the cab and finally it let the magic smoke out and left me without low beams, hazards, horn and central locking,etc...basically major electrical failure ! After tracing the faults to improper instalation of the steering wheel/ignition switch components which eat into the indicator stalk shorting it to earth and melting wiring looms all the way to fusebox and ligths switch... I now need a diagram on how the parts holding steering column (ignition/lock, spring, dished washer, steering wheel) all fit together, had the steering wheel off before but never took notice. Something is amiss there as the steering column moves in an out a few mm...I tried swapping parts from a vw golf mk3 as the ignition switch and indicator stalk is very similar to t4 but the parts are different and i still have the play ! I need this sorted as i need to register the van here, there are talks on tv as RH Drive cars wont be allowed to drive in europe anymore after brexit ! I am ok for time being as i keep a trade insurance policy in uk but it cost me more money than paying local insurance policy ! I am also in the process of building a house and being able to buy materials from time to time would be nice instead o paying for delivery or ruining the estate car we have ! Thanks in advance for any help...

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
there are talks on tv as RH Drive cars wont be allowed to drive in europe anymore after brexit !
Given that Brexit has (in theory) happened & that EU member The Republic of Ireland drives on the LHS, I would ignore (possibly everything considering history) you hear on Romanian TV.

Ps. changing the ignition switch is really easy on the T4, baffled trying to understand what this guy has done to your van ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts