VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone.

Just getting my first T4 which needs a fair bit if working doing to get it. Reading all the threads is a massive help, thanks to you all. The air bag steering wheel is in a bad condition and I wish to change it for a after market replacement, momo etc. I cannot see any advise on this and would be extremely grateful if someone could give me some guidance on how to go about this mod. TY

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Hi
If you want to fit a boss and momo basically just change it ,
When you pull the airbag steering wheel just make sure you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes before commencing work and turn the side lights on , why you ask even thou the battery is disconnected turning something non ignition related on will make sure there is no residue electricity left in a capacitor etc in the vehicle ,
When you put your new wheel on you will get an airbag light on the dash
This for now can be ignored
You can buy cancellers for the light but it would be better just to blank it out
If you buy a canceller the only problem you will encounter maybe with future mots the new rules still have not been passed yet but there talking about making the airbag light and airbag system part of the test
But if you totally remove it then they would have to prove that it wasnt an option only on some vehicles
Obviously newer stuff is fitted with airbags standard these would not be allowed to be removed as a missing airbag is also going to be a fail as well as an airbag light not doing what its meant too .

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Paul,

Great advice. Picking the T4 up tomorrow, 4 hours on the train then the drive home with my lad. Looking forward to getting started on Tuesday. M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts