VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Bought a 2000 T4 and I was wondering if someone could give me details of how to change the tyre if it was flat. I'd rather learn now rather than when it actually happens?

I'd appreciate it very much if someone could give me the details or if you know where there might be an online video etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pretty generic to do, this is the way I would do it:
1. Park on firm level ground, turn off the engine & apply the handbrake. Put in 1st gear if changing a rear wheel
2. Remove wheel brace & jack from rear of the van (or whereever you keep them).
3. Under the rear of the van in the centre you will find the spare wheel held in a metal cradle which is secured by two bolts. Undo these to lower the spare wheel complete with cradle.
4. Using the wheel brace undo all 5 wheel bolts by 1/4 turn (turning anti-clockwise).
5. Position your jack onto the jacking point (for standard jack it's at a small cutout on the sill).
6. Jack the vehicle until tyre is clear of the ground.
7. Remove wheel bolts & remove wheel.
8. Fit spare wheel and 'nip up' the bolts (do these up 'nipping' diagonally).
9. lower & remove jack.
10. Tighten wheel bolts up.
11. Replace 'flat tyre' onto holder, tighten bolts holding cradle & replace all tools.
12. Remember to take van out of gear if you do that.
13. Drive away happy.
14. After 50 miles check wheel bolt tightness.

Mick

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
very sensible forethought
would add re 5. - put the jack under the chassis behind there, not on the actual cill, so many have crushed the latter
also do a dummy run at home in case the spare wheel release bolt is seized up, & check your tools will release the wheel nuts

& another one - get a basic dummy key cut & hide under the van, then can open the doors if you ever lock your keys inside

GL

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Thanks Fatbadge - thats really useful.
One query please: I have low profile tyres on 19 inch alloys, on my T4 and the spare is the original steel with a more regular tyre. Don't know the actual size right now- will check tomorrow. If I need to, is it feasible to put that steel on as a spare? Presumably I need to know that the total diameter of the spare wheel and tyre are similar to the others?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I'd just do it, provided the wheels are a vauglry similar rolling radius (willtheyfit.com or something like that calculates the tyre size), If it's very different I'd swap one of the rears into the front and the spare onto the back so I didn't have different size wheels on the driven end. I expect one of the grumpier members will be along to advise of the legalities and tell us how dangerous and illegal this would be :D

If you've got low profile tyres, check your load rating - they may not be suitable for use on a van.

Also worth buying a breaker bar and deep socket to keep in the van for undoing the wheel bolts, the standard brace is junk.

·
Registered
867 Posts
just to add a bit.....

there are 2 bolts holding the spare under the van, you only need one of them completely removed. the other needs to be loosened off enough for you to lift the carrier and slide it out. be warned, its a heavy item while laying on your back :eek:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Thanks D-9. Brownie point here as I've got a breaker bar and a deep socket. But also Wally of the night award cos I keep it at home in the garage......
Good point about the load rating - will check tomorrow. These low profile tyres came with the van when I got it and after liking them at first, i've recently been shown far better alternatives, bigger tyre on a smaller wheel for a much more comfortable ride.
Anyone know what size the standard wheels on a T4 are - were, please?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Standard steels are 15" on the t4 with a good heft of profile, I believe the caravelles/multvans were available with 16" alloys.

Big wheels really look the part, but I personally don't think it's worth the ride, I'm running 17" bbs on mine and previously ran 16" Audi alloys which were super cheap.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
oh - & you use the bar end of the brace to lever up the spare carrier, as said it's heavy & awkward with the wheel on
best to put the flat inside the van & refit wheel when repaired & back home

1 - 11 of 11 Posts