VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Changing engine

983 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  To-be-frank 
#1 ·
Hello everyone need help with changing engine on mine vw transporter 2011 2.0 bitdi what i would like to know is how much work is involved to changing engine by my self or just not to bother and give it to the garage? Here in norway the asking price 1500 euros and anothe question is what is the best place in UK getting a new one any recommendations?

#2 ·
I have a 2012 bitdi but have yet to do anything with it yet! The time will come I am sure.
It depends on what you have in relation tools lifting equipment etc. I have not removed an engine from a T5 yet but did it when I had a T4. For me a home mechanic, removing the front end would be the easiest way to gain access to the engine. This then allows for access with an engine hoist for removal. The pictures I have seen on the net for the bitdi look as if this the route to go. Have a look on eBay for a repair manual, probably an electronic form that that you can look at before starting. I have a pirate copy of Elsa win, acquired some years ago that should hopefully detail what is involved.
If you are looking for a refurb I would try Darkside Developments, they seem to have a wealth of knowledge on these engines and upgrades.

Let us know on what you decide to do as I would be interested.

#3 ·
im going to buy a reconditioned engine that’s for sure Darkside looks very expensive for me the cheapest one i found was from reconmyengine.com 1800 British money :) on ebay 2000 and up i have some tools but i need to buy more so if im spending on the tools 500 so i saving a 1000 and have the tools for the next project :) but i would like to know how much engineering knowledge is involved in all this :))

#8 ·
I don't know any other engine reconditioners with the knowledge of Darkside in the UK for the bitdi CFCA. I am aware that the VW replacement comes with a new EGR fitted. My own research means I would be looking at a new EGR, DPF clean and turbo refurb due to the potential of oil contamination from the EGR breaking down. I know replacement pistons are available for the engine, but not cheap.

I am aware from Gaz on here that Norway is expensive.

#11 ·
As all know the 2.0 bitdi has some problem with egr valve I bought this van for 4400 euro with 230000 km on the clock its smoking very badly so time to change engine here in norway the cheapest refurbished one starting at 2.600 euro and up.to send mine to do overhaul cost ☝ 4.500 😂 so no point to send mine and repair.my self I don’t have so much knowledge to take engine apart and repair it

#12 ·
A lot of the reports over here seem to suggest that failure occurs round 70,000miles, (112,000km). Your van has gone past this significantly. Which ERG model is fitted? The one reported to fix the problem ends in D. What colour is the smoke? Does it have any smells? Have you had the van checked with diagnostic software?

I ask to tyy and help diagnose the problem before you spend fixing the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.