VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just bought a 1996 T4 800 Special. It has 2 front seats (with arms) not swivelling. I want to replace the single passenger seat
with a double. Is this a simple switch? unbolt one bolt in the other.
When I have put the reg into insurance quote searches it says its a 3 seater so I wonder if it originally was? though it all looks very tidy and original around the seats.
New to this forum and haven't owned a VW for 20 years. (Bought this one for my daughter yesterday and having spent a couple of weeks searching VWs I want one for myself!!) Welcome any advice.
Many Thanks
Kay

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
yes it will fit! (just the same 4 allen bolts) bit fiddley but easy to do. i found it quicker to cut down the allen key so that it would pass the rail better.

and... if the seat that you are removing is a captain (has arms) it is worth a good bit more than the original double. T:

·
Registered
646 Posts
The 800 special came with captains seats as standard, as already mentioned these are highly sought after and worth a few quid. No need to cut down allen keys, you'll have to unbolt the single base from the floor of the van to accomodate your new double seat base. Easy job just 4 hex nuts. T:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Shame you're not nearer to me as I have a double passenger seat that I want to replace with a single!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same here I have a double seat in inca material that i would like to swap for a single....damn these distances! T:

·
Registered
646 Posts
That's strange, mine came with captains seats as original equipment and from what I've read on this subject elsewhere on the forum they were the only thing that did make them 'special', oh and a rear rubber load mat. Could yours have been swapped out at some point?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this should be straightforward. The seat I'll be removing isn't in great condition it has a hole worn in the seat fabric and an arm missing! We need 3 seats so its an opportunity to improve things.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

If it's something your looking to do up I'm having a complete re-change in my van. I have a single drivers, double passengers and a 3/4 rock and roll bed, all with matching black with blue tint vinyl fitted covers that I'm going to be looking to sell on (all in excellent condition). I'm sure if your interested we could come to some sort of agreement, I just need the passenger single seat base to fit my new seats to.T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts