VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi do you guys think that if you have changed the front seats and altered the seat mounts your insurance company would pay out if anybody in the van was hurt ..at mot the other week the tester said its not a mot issue but any seat change or modification would not be type approved and therefore very suspect

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here but:

What bolts have you used to instal the new seats?

How do you know that they are strong enough for their intended purpose?

Have you had to re-drill any mounting holes or make any modifications using plate etc?

How do you know all these mods have sufficient strength?

Seats and seatbelts etc normally need to be TUV(?) approved. If you then make modifications without TUV certification where do you stand?

Incidentally, I too have modified the seats in my van. I haven't told the insurers either, but I can see the point of the original poster......

10,824 Posts
You are modifying the seat fixing not the seat, same as the seat belts if you don't alter them then you can fix them where you want within reason. how do you think custom cars having been doing it for years or kit cars etc etc

I dare say if you have an accident and the fixings fail which if you use high tensile fixings they won't it's down to your own wrong doing.

Basically the moral of the story is do it right in the first place T:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts