VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Changing T4 old steering wheel model to newer one

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Alex71 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!
So I have a VW T4 from 1996. I am planning to change its steering wheel as it is very worn-out, and I was thinking on changing it with a newer steering wheel type, the one with the VW logo on the center, like those from the 2000s T4 or even with a T5 steering wheel. And the question is: the process is just straightforward or do I need to use an adapter for fitting the new steering wheel? I saw some threads related to my question, but only about steering wheels from other Volkswagen cars; so for the newer T4 steering wheel or for a T5 steering wheel do I need an adapter? Also, will the airbag work with the new steering wheel? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
On lots of vehicles its advisable to disconnect the battery an have an earthing strap if messing about with airbags. you could possibly face issues with lots of stuff depending on which wheel you choose. I’ve read people having issues with self cancelling indicators depending on which wheel the have, I don’t know about airbags but I don’t think the horn would be a problem. But I honestly don’t know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.