VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so what is actually needed?
Not much really. The new bar the bushes and new drop links.

I bought the bushes and the bar from VW as to how much I found it varied and also ask for a discount. As they will not have it in stock and will be ordering it in they could well be open to negotiation. The drop links from VW are about the same cost as the bar. And I could not get much out there for less. Other than the Meyel ones. They are about 1/6 the price. I am happy changing them every year for six years still cheaper than VW.

How to spot the 27mm bars for you scrap yard junkies. There is a threaded hole in the end.

Time for a cuppa and then let's get it done.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
Good luck bud, its a bit of a fiddle to feed through the sub frame with it on the van and without removing major parts. Can't remember how I managed to do mine but involved a lot of swearing and a fair bit of brute force. I have the Meyle drop links and they are still as tight as the day they were fitted T:T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
got prices for one from TPS along with a rear one and a set of grey torsion bars! order going in on monday! can't wait!
How much were the grey torsion bars bud?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
front torsion bar grey comes in at 135 quid each side, front 27 ARB comes in at 132 and the rear 28 ARB comes in at 137.
Thanks bud, I already have the rest fitted to my bus (almost anyway, mines the thinner RARB); the torsion bars are the last piece of the jigsaw T:T:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Thanks bud, I already have the rest fitted to my bus (almost anyway, mines the thinner RARB); the torsion bars are the last piece of the jigsaw T:T:
forgot to say it plus VAT and we have a very good deals from TPS, front arb should have been 177 and rear should have been 204, both plus vat. torsion bars were up around 200 quid each.

No questions asked about what I'm fitting it too, both front and rear arbs will be with me on tuesday if ordered before 3pm then an answer about torsion bars dinner time tuesday :)

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right all done. From jacking up to front ARB out 1.5 hours. New one in place but not mounted about 10 mins.

Old one went out on the steering column side the left of the bus as it is LHD. New one went in the same way.

If I was doing it again I would do it without the exhaust down pipe present or I would use an angle grinder and cut the old one in half.

I would also get new bolts for the bushes.

As these had just about had it. I will be changing them when VW is open again.

Finally why was it so easy to fit the new one?

It is this much shorter.

I am a bit concerned about the angle the lower mount of the drop link joins the lower arm there is a bit of an angle on it.

Just wondering if there was a difference to the mounting boss on the newer arms?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
Right all done. From jacking up to front ARB out 1.5 hours. New one in place but not mounted about 10 mins.

Old one went out on the steering column side the left of the bus as it is LHD. New one went in the same way.

If I was doing it again I would do it without the exhaust down pipe present or I would use an angle grinder and cut the old one in half.

I would also get new bolts for the bushes.

As these had just about had it. I will be changing them when VW is open again.

Finally why was it so easy to fit the new one?

It is this much shorter.

I am a bit concerned about the angle the lower mount of the drop link joins the lower arm there is a bit of an angle on it.

Just wondering if there was a difference to the mounting boss on the newer arms?
Mine was fitted on the post 96 arms as I did a suspension swap at the same time, from memory mine are bolt upright but I will have a look for you when I get home from work T:T:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
nick which roll bar did you order the early vans according to vagcat the part number ends in an701411025f the later 96 ones with a 701411025h i wonder what difference there is

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
A pic would be great if you could be so kind. Oh this is looking from the wheel side. Wil get a pic of mine shortly.
I have the van with me today at work so I will pop out in a bit T:T:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts