VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, we're looking at driving across to Belgium and Amsterdam from Dover/Folkstone early December and hoping to book soon. Can anyone recommend cheapest / best way of doing so and also what restrictions might be in place when travelling in a converted campervan?

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also my prefered crossing, the shortest and cheapest, Amsterdam's around 3 1/2 drive from Calais, depending on traffic in Belgium. (would suggest giving Antwerp a wide berth, take the A11/E34 above Gent and take the tunnels)
Regarding covid, as far as I'm aware a UK QR code is accepted, you'll need it most likely for restaurants, clubs, events etc, cafes probably not.
I don't know what the current entry requirements are for UK/EU border and vise versa, but once you're over here it's highly unlikely you'll face any other contols contrary to what official/other info sites might have you believe.
I just recently travelled down to France from Holland, first trip over the borders since corona arrived, (apart from when I was still working HGV's), spent hours on the web with Google translate trying to translate official French government corona advice and printing out pages of documents I thought I needed to carry, expecting to be facing contols all along the way, only for absolutely nothing, spent 10 days travelling around and never once faced any type of control.
Wearing a mask is required in France in supermarkets, shops, cafes etc and you need your QR code for any events you might visit.
Masks are only required for public transport here in NL.
Not sure about masks in Belgium.
Might be an idea to print your QR code, as UK service providers as far as I'm aware have re-introduced roaming charges.
These are my own thoughts and experiences, don't take them for facts.
Good luck and have a good trip if you get it together.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also my prefered crossing, the shortest and cheapest, Amsterdam's around 3 1/2 drive from Calais, depending on traffic in Belgium. (would suggest giving Antwerp a wide berth, take the A11/E34 above Gent and take the tunnels)
Regarding covid, as far as I'm aware a UK QR code is accepted, you'll need it most likely for restaurants, clubs, events etc, cafes probably not.
I don't know what the current entry requirements are for UK/EU border and vise versa, but once you're over here it's highly unlikely you'll face any other contols contrary to what official/other info sites might have you believe.
I just recently travelled down to France from Holland, first trip over the borders since corona arrived, (apart from when I was still working HGV's), spent hours on the web with Google translate trying to translate official French government corona advice and printing out pages of documents I thought I needed to carry, expecting to be facing contols all along the way, only for absolutely nothing, spent 10 days travelling around and never once faced any type of control.
Wearing a mask is required in France in supermarkets, shops, cafes etc and you need your QR code for any events you might visit.
Masks are only required for public transport here in NL.
Not sure about masks in Belgium.
Might be an idea to print your QR code, as UK service providers as far as I'm aware have re-introduced roaming charges.
These are my own thoughts and experiences, don't take them for facts.
Good luck and have a good trip if you get it together.
Thanks - got the covid passes sorted, it's more about any restrictions with a campervan on either tunnels or ferries for the crossing itself. Appreciate the travel info, really good to know.

I am seeing around £180 for a return journey in December. Higher than I expected, but perhaps a very advance booking is needed for something cheaper.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks - got the covid passes sorted, it's more about any restrictions with a campervan on either tunnels or ferries for the crossing itself. Appreciate the travel info, really good to know.

I am seeing around £180 for a return journey in December. Higher than I expected, but perhaps a very advance booking is needed for something cheaper.
Don't know why there would be any restrictions on ferry or tunnel, never come across any myself over the years, think they're more interested on size and height of vehicle for price catergory and deck level than anything else.
Yeah, online in advance does tend to be cheaper, and the ferry will be cheaper than the tunnel.
If you need to park up at any motorway services overnight along the way it's free. (or at least I've never yet come across having to pay)
If you need to do an overnighter at Calais on the way back you can park up within the perimeter fence at the terminal, there's adequate parking, usually quiet but not guaranteed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Customs!
Forgot about that, you'll need to check what can and can't post Brexit.
I know you can't bring dairy products or anything containing dairy products, and also no meat products, I don't know about tinned meats.
They'll take such things off you, even sandwiches!

·
Registered
478 Posts
We always use the tunnel now crossing to France. The ferry crossings from Portsmouth etc. are extortionate for campervans now. Can't speak for the Dover ferry, but the tunnel is so painless and you can pick whichever crossing time works best for you. A campervan during the summer is usually circa £260 return, the height pushes you into the more expensive single storey carriage compared to a car and they seem to have removed the opportunity to suggest your campervan is just a "high car".

Other than the covid paperwork it was no bother at all crossing last August. We took a bunch of milk in the campervan fridge and some other "illegal" products, didn't even get stopped by customs. We fully expected to lose the stuff but there you go. I believe (but don't bank on it) that they are now being a bit more pragmatic when clearly the food in your van is for personal consumption not an attempt to bypass EU tariffs!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess it's pot luck and whether mr. customsman (or mrs. customs lady) got out the right side of the bed that morning.
The dairy and meat restrictions are more to do with health regulation/certification I believe, but as you say they've maybe calmed down a bit now and probably not so concerned with personal supplies.
The customs here at the ports in Holland went at it with great zeal in the beginning after brexit and were confiscating cheese and ham sandwiches from truck drivers. How the situation is now I don't know, haven't spoken with any drivers recently.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I have just gone from europe to uk and back again, basically travelling into France from UK is the problem as you need to have had a covid test 24hrs prior to departure this can either be a pcr or a lateral flow i found a provider that does results within the hour in Folkestone Hope Travel Clinic and they were great cost 49 quid for a lateral flow. Now the french also require you to fill out 2 bits of paperwork one stating a proper reason to travel to france and the other a declaration that you haven't got or been within close proximity to anyone with covid (these bits of paperwork were not checked) they were just interested in where I lived and had to show my residence card all ok and also the results of my test.

Now there are lots of people online that claim to do a test and get you the results within a day by post not reliable enough imo. On my journey to UK i used Stena from Hook of Holland becuase their covid travel rules meant I could do a test and it's valid for 3 days much easier when travelling the lenght of europe.

My van never got looked at it in Holland or France by customs (it's not UK registered but I travel on a UK passport) both inbound and outbound ferries were dead in terms of passengers really quiet, the tunnel has priced itself off the planet these days which is why i used ferries much much cheaper, having previously used the tunnel exclusively.

Motorway fuel in europe stupidly expensive get off the motorway and save 30-50 cents a litre.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts