VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to this website and to owning a T4 or any kind of van for that matter, so apologies if this question has been answered a million times before. I've searched around but only seem to find threads on leisure battery chargers.

I left my lights on and drained the main battery, I was told this might have killed the battery but my local battery guy says there may be some life in it yet. Not finding any answers I had to go to Halfords and buy their smartcharge 200 which I knew there was a good chance could be rubbish, but after my second one in a day not functioning I thought it might be worth asking you guys what you use and where you buy from.

On another note, is there any way of creating an alarm if you take your keys out and have left the lights on, I'm bound to do this again.

Thanks,

Mo

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Draining the battery once wont kill it ...unless it was pooped already ..!! ..If a cheap charger doesnt revive it , theres your proof ..! Yes , there are many ...lights on beeper kits out there ...

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,637 Posts
Depending upon year and type (you didn't specify, which for future reference you should always do), there is often a buzzer that works off the drivers door light switch that will...err...BUZZ....if you open the door, engine off, lights on.
Quite a few threads on cleaning/checking the drivers door switch....

As for your charger problem, you have bought one of the "intelligent" chargers, they are so intelligent that unless they see a battery voltage, they don't charge :confused::*:confused:
LOW voltage battery they work fine, but totally drained one...never.

My cure for this is to use jump cables from another battery, whilst having the charger connected.
5 seconds later, you can remove the jump cables, and the charger will spend the next 2 days charging your battery (don't expect it to be less than 2 days...100 A/h battery, charging at 4 amps,in theory takes 25 hours....but in practice 2 days.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts