VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, several weeks since I've started my VW T5 van conversion due to lockdown. Went to take it to take it for a run yesterday and battery died. It's a professional conversion I using a PMS3 unit for electrics. Is it possible to charge the vehicle battery by plugging the van into my house mains, setting the Charger Supply switch to On and the selector switch to Car (i.e. starter battery) ?

(Also note I did try it briefly but the Polarity light came on which I assume is due to the van battery somehow.)

Cheers.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,953 Posts
The user instructions are ambiguous, aren't they? In general, power control systems of that age switch both the load and the charging between the two batteries, but unfortunately it's not universal. You should be able to use the battery condition meter to figure out what it's doing though. First figure out whether the meter shows only the leisure battery condition, or whether it shows the condition of whichever battery is selected on the switch (again, the instructions are unclear), and then check to see whether the battery voltage on the meter rises when the charger is turned on.

You should not be getting the Polarity light coming on. If it does, check the wiring of your hookup cable, and if that is Ok, check the wiring of the mains socket you are plugged into. While it's not a very dangerous fault, there are situations where protection against electric shock are less effective with reverse polarity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I'll will check as you say. Thanks. It certainly shows battery condition in both Van & Car positions and I think they were different. The Polarity light has only ever come on when we've been abroad and have needed to use a converter so I was surprised to see it on, hence assumed it was somehow due to the 'state' of the battery/batteries. If it's ok to plug in then I'll get that sorted later if stays on. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm no expert, but my PMS-3 does not charge the cab battery at all

I believe the switch marked van-off-car will take 12v power from the cab battery in the 'car' position for the habitation area - not a good idea!

If the 'charger' switch is illuminated it will be charging the hab battery only, regardless of whether the van-off-car switch in the 'van' or 'car' position (mine also does this in the off position

The wiring for these is based on a caravan and tow bar connection requirements

Best bet is to check voltage with multimeter on each battery to see what's happening

BTW the PMS-3 charger gives a constant voltage, so will probably only charge the battery to about 80%

I have added a victron charger to mine & use that rather than the PMS-3 charger

For cab battery charging, I use a 'Battery Master' from vanbitz which trickle charges the cab battery if the leisure battery voltage is higher than the cab battery (it's actually way more complicated than that, worth a read up about it)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all. A final update. I left the van with Charger Supply ON and selector set to CAR. Didn't know how long to leave it so gave it 36 hours and the van started up immediately. Also Polarity light was no longer on. Good to know in case need to do it again. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts