VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi am looking for some kind of cheap heating for my van, doesnt have to be brilliant just to take the chill off, the Webasto or erbestacter are just way way out of my price range, and just not an option

anyone got any ideas:*

thanks
lee

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
There isnn't really much of an alternative to the Eberspacher/Webasto/Propex systems unfortunatly bud. 12 volt Fan heaters are good to aid quick heat up in the morning when engine is running but thats about it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was thinking of a small delongi style oil filled radiator, trouble is its 240v and could only be used on site with hook up. You can pick them up for between 20 and 30 quid.
Has anyone else used one of these and would they be safe in the van? Only ask cuz I had one that stank a bit of oil when switched on

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I was thinking of a small delongi style oil filled radiator, trouble is its 240v and could only be used on site with hook up. You can pick them up for between 20 and 30 quid.
Has anyone else used one of these and would they be safe in the van? Only ask cuz I had one that stank a bit of oil when switched on
I've used one when on electric hook-up and they're great.
The oil ones hold their heat so you can turn them off at night for safety and they still keep giving off heat.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have one of these and it is perfectly safe!T: It is thermostatically controlled so you can leave on over night and not get to hot, and also it has a tilt sensor built in, so if it gets knocked over, it turns off.A:

·
Registered
790 Posts
We use a small oil filled radiator when we have hookup, or Propex when we're without 240v.

Coleman do a little gas heater for camping which might be of use. It's called the Black Cat and costs around £40.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use one of these, or any other heaters producing a naked flame inside the van. They aren't designed for use in confined, unventilated spaces..........

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
i use a b&m canister gas heater when at meets etc,but only to warm the van! i leave window open a touch,but when getting in van to sleep.its turned off!

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
We use a small oil filled radiator when we have hookup, or Propex when we're without 240v.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use one of these, or any other heaters producing a naked flame inside the van. They aren't designed for use in confined, unventilated spaces..........
Agreed :eek: You will most likely kill ya self so best stay well away.... Personally i use a fan heater if on hook up.... If not on hook up your only real option is an expencive heater :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
I pur the cooker on and boil some water for the hot water bottle then leave it on till the van is warm . I n the mornings i feel guilty knowing the kids are cold in the back where its cold and won't use the blankets cause its not cool . i have been thinking of running a power lead out and preheating the van with a fan heater ,but ive never really trusted fan heaters

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
we have a little electric fan heater when on hook up. It takes chill off the air and has a tilt cut out (that it v v v v v sensitive) about a fiver from argos

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
isnt that basically what the van has in the dash?
so youll still need the van running,to heat the water,for the fan to blow out warm air?......id save my £ up for an eberT:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a B&Q 800w oil filled radiator when on hook up it has three settings 300/500/800w when we go to bed it's switched to 300w and thats plenty to keep the chill off, and when we are roughing it I use a 2000w suitcase genny which runs all we need :cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thanks people, how much would one of those little gene's set me back? trying t get the van all sorted for lobb:) but i dont have hook up

1 - 20 of 24 Posts