VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this Silver T5 for the princely sum of £2700 - making it the cheapest running T5 on the internet with an MOT - here are the stats...

Late 2005 T26

1.9 TDI 84bhp

203,500 miles on the clock

2 owners from new

No service history :eek:

Non electric pack model

Had a reconditioned gearbox, clutch and dual mass flywheel

BAD BITS:

Rusty bonnet, and misaligned front end - looks like a dodgy repair job at some point

Several huge cracks in the windscreen

Central locking not working and passengers door dead locked shut

Big dent/scrape in rear quarter panel

Passenger door has a ding in it where the previous owner tried to unlock it with brut force!

Leaking oil - previous owner said he spilt some when filling it up.... unlikely unless he spilt a whole bottle of used oil down there LOL:

Obviously the previous owner didn't write about any of these issues in the add, but for the price it was to be expected and after a 4 hour train ride to Peterborough I felt obliged to purchase.... plus I could see there was still some good left in the old girl, you just had to look really hard!!

LET'S DO THIS!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohhh..... other BAD BITS not mentioned in the add

- Glow plug light intermittently flashing

- Horrid noise coming from drive belt when turning at low speeds.....

I'm sure there will be more :ILU:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

the flashing glow plug light is a warning that you have a fault somewhere, I had it and it was my brake pedal switch had gone. The warning could mean anything.

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started working my way through the list of issues last week. Here's the update (easy jobs first :ILU: )

- Central locking fixed - with thanks to T5 forum: was the corroded positive wire under the drivers seat T:

- As a result the passenger door now opens and closes and both key fobs are back in working order T:

- I plugged my laptop into the van and ran a diagnostics to find the error codes relating to the glow plug light: I hoped (and prayed) it was nothing serious as the van appeared to run/start/stop fine.

After reading the forum and having a similar issue on my Caddy van years ago it became apparent it was something to do with the braking. I was hoping for just a bulb out, but actually i needed to replace the brake pedal switch as can be seen in the codes given in the image above - (p0571 is a brake switch fault/circuit malfunction). Just £7 from Eurocarparts with a discount code and no more flashing glow plug making me panic!! T:

- Heater fan was only working on setting 4 - again using helpful advice on the forum I was able to purchase a new fuse for £3 online and fabricate the connections using an old terminal block - heating fully restored and working on all 4 settings T:

S

·
0 Posts
i have just bought a ratty t5 panal, ex builders van £3250

new drive shaft and two lower ball joints two engine/gearbox mounts and shes running great. need a new drivers side elec window switch ( it appears to have been pushed down by an elephant)

replaced inner door handles needs new cup holder and has no radio

just had a quote of £800 for both rear quarters and both barn doors to be fixed and painted.

looks like the bonnet needs painting as she has nasty marks where bird poo has been left

i took two carrier bags of concrete dust from under the flooring

lots of little dents and scratches

crappy steelies needs alloys and lowering

hoping to turn her into a decent day van for about £5500 (maybe)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have just bought a ratty t5 panal, ex builders van £3250

new drive shaft and two lower ball joints two engine/gearbox mounts and shes running great. need a new drivers side elec window switch ( it appears to have been pushed down by an elephant)

replaced inner door handles needs new cup holder and has no radio

just had a quote of £800 for both rear quarters and both barn doors to be fixed and painted.

looks like the bonnet needs painting as she has nasty marks where bird poo has been left

i took two carrier bags of concrete dust from under the flooring

lots of little dents and scratches

crappy steelies needs alloys and lowering

hoping to turn her into a decent day van for about £5500 (maybe)
Sounds like you've got a good old list of jobs like me too then! You got a thread going? Would be keen to see how it progresses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was time to sort out the oil leak - after taking off the engine tray it seemed as if there was oil coming from the front of the engine - as it was coated in oily gunk that had also streamed its way down the sump and onto the flexi part of the exhaust - that explains the hot oil smell in the cab :mw

I wiped the oil off the exhaust and hoped that there wasn't more than one leak - in theory if I stopped the leak from the front of the engine, that should stop the rest getting coated in oil when I drive!

Intercooler is pretty bent up! Van must have had a front end shunt.

So it appears the intercooler was leaking oil - explaining the excessive oil usage - oil light came on during my drive back from Peterborough and I was loosing speed going up hills, which I put down to it only being 84bhp :confused:. I also read somewhere that a hole in the intercooler can draw oil through the turbo?! Increasing oil usage and decreasing power.

New intercooler fitted - £80 from Eurocarparts with a 46.5% off discount code! T:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next up, whilst rolling around under the van I noticed that the drivers side CV boot had split on the inner end (nearest gearbox).

I ordered a replacement CV boot for £4 and watched a load of videos on Youtube - thanks EricTheCarGuy!

However I was unable to dismantle the axle joint, and following the advice of EricTheCarGuy (who stated that he doesn't bother replacing boots anymore as complete axles are so cheap nowadays)...

After a failed CV boot mission, I ordered a complete drive axle from eurocarparts for £150 with a discount code - then out of pure curiosity checked the GSF website and found the same drive shaft for £87 (using a 59% discount code that I had been emailed). Defo worth signing up to mailing lists for offers etc :ILU:

So I took the eurocarparts axle back and fitted my bargain GSF one. Job done. T:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
How much oil is was in your cooler ?

I'd be keeping a close eye on your oil level from now on to make sure theres not an underlying issue with your turbo .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much oil is was in your cooler ?

I'd be keeping a close eye on your oil level from now on to make sure theres not an underlying issue with your turbo .
You've seen my next post coming! :D

I was expecting the worse and hastily ordered a recon turbo as soon as I saw the intercooler as I assumed that amount of oil down the face of the cooler could not be a good sign! However, when I removed the intercooler and tipped it on its end - expecting loads of oil to pour out - there was only a few tiny spots (which I read is perfectly normal). I gave all the associated pipes a clean with a rag, popped it back together and ran the van on a few long trips - so far oil level is steady and no more drops under then van T:

But I've got a new turbo on the way.... DOH! and the van has done over 200,000 miles.... So that will be fitted next as a precautionary measure... :ILU:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Its usual for a diesel to get some residue in the cooler so long as its not excessive .
A small amount will spread over the face of a leaky cooler and will always look worse than it actually is .

Now youve replaced the damaged item hopefully youve sorted your boost leak and it should pull a little better now T: .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next job was the Turbo :D

This was just £215 from London Turbos 4 U on an exchange basis (you have to give them your old one once it is removed from the vehicle). I have fitted one from this company before to my last car, so was confident it would be up to the job.

I followed a tutorial from the Brickyard website. This stated it was a pig of a job and would take two days to complete - I can confirm it is a Pig of a job and did take the best part of two days! :eek:

There are slight differences between the 2.5 and 1.9 turbo fitting procedure - the main one being that the 2.5 comes in two parts - the manifold is bolted to the turbo itself, whereas the 1.9 has the turbo and manifold combined as one big lump.

First job was to remove the rusty exhaust clamp - which did not want to play ball. The nuts had the structural integrity of cheese.

However with the use of this wrench....

I was able to remove what was left of the nuts T:

I then could not budge the clamp, so after a good hour rolling around on my back decided to leave it and come back to it later on. However, after removing the front exhaust mount bolts and the ring clamp that attaches the exhaust to the turbo, was able to get plenty of room without the need to remove the whole front section of exhaust, so just left it in place. I:

I then removed the air-box and associated pipes for greater access from above...

Removed the EGR pipe...

Unbolted the oil feed and return pipes and unbolted the 8 nuts on the manifold - loosing lots of washers down the back of the engine at the same time - I must have spent about 3 hours digging these out afterwards :bhd

Inside old turbo - some of the veins had small chunks out of them - not sure if this was reason enough to change it, didn't seem to have anymore play in the shaft than the new one. :confused: But piece of mind now I suppose!

Lots of my missing washers and nuts went down the back of the engine mount (I had to remove this later to retrieve them).

Old turbo and new one.

I also fitted a flexi oil feed pipe from dark side developments as the old one buckled as I tried to remove it :bhd Worth noting that there are two nuts at the base of the oil feed pipe - one that you need to hold steady with a spanner to stop the pipe buckling - I didnt realise this until it was too late!

New turbo fitted T:

I've driven to Bristol and Gillingham since the job and all seems to be working well :ILU:

·
Total Van Newbie
199 Posts
This is so interesting, love it. Love that a T5 a little rough round the edges is getting all this love and attention to give it a new lease of life!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts